Turning between centres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watchman

Reaction score
hi
Being new I have watched and studied the foundation course book and |DVD and was ready to "have a go".

Check my bits and bobs that came with the CL2 and I only have a face plate screw? for bowl turning I don't seem to have a bit for turning between centres as shown in the book.

I really wanted to start turning this weekend can I use the face plate bowl turning screw to hold the wood for turning between centres??

Thanks in advance

Watchman":2mv9b95r said:
hi
…….can I use the face plate bowl turning screw to hold the wood for turning between centres??

Well, sort of, but a couple things I can think of being that:-

Assuming you are turning a spindle with grain in the normal direction, (parallel to the lathe bed)
1. you will be screwing into end grain and the screw may not hold very well if you have heavy cuts.

2. the converse of that is that if it holds well a significant catch with a wrongly presented tool could be rather more dramatic than with a lightly engaged drive centre.

Also using a screw chuck means that the tailstock centre must be in line with the headstock. (not essential when using a drive centre)

Thank you for your advise.

Phil.p have ordered the Spur Drive Centre.

CHJ I think I will be patient and wait for the spur drive centre. Don't really want to try and combat slipping wood or wrist breaking on my first "go" at turning.

Blimey Phil, if those drives are any good they are really good value!

Welcome to the slippery slope Watchman. If you only have 1/2 the enjoyment that I have had turning then I will have had twice yours and yours will be LOTS!

I can't wait to get back on my lathe, a CL1 with a 3ø motor on it but it's still buried in our rented accommodation shed for another few months until our double house move is finished!

Jonzjob":2jrzlp0g said:
Blimey Phil, if those drives are any good they are really good value!
I have the Set Ref: 51209S03 and have no complaints at all.

Because my lathe has different nose thread I actually run the Centre Body in a self centring 4 jaw chuck with no problems.

Have you got a thread protector for the drive centre?? You will need one as this is what you use to remove the centre from the headstock. Many/most lathes have a hollow headstock so you can knock the drive centre out with a knockout bar. I didn't realise this the first time I put my drive in centre in....without the thread protector :oops: Took a while to get it out!

Back