turning 101 in the bristol/avon area?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokkodo

Established Member
Reaction score
perhaps a long shot, but i tend to enjoy teaching people wood things (i mean teaching friends to carve spoons and do simple woodwork, i'm by no means a qualified sensei!) and it always seems like theres plenty of generous souls on here so i thought id ask.

i recently acquired my first lathe and set of tools (both with great thanks to users of the forum), unfortunately though it was during my move from sussex to somerset and things have been a little frantic so i havent had a chance to play with either.

despite having done woodwork for a living for a number of years and having a couple of books on it, i have done exactly no turning, and id love it if someone would spare a couple of hours one sunday or something to give me an introductory beginners 101. My place (my small workshop unit near Yate so it would have to be during working hours) or yours, dont mind. If im visiting I'll bring my own tools (that ive not even unwrapped yet! shame on me) and some bits of wood and my bag of bits that i need explaining to me! I will also bring an (alcoholic?) bribe of some description.

I know there are turning clubs and things but in my experience there's no leg up like a one on one introduction to something.

No rush, im busy during the weeks at the moment so a date in the next month or two would be great. Heres hoping! Thanks :)

We have a lathe at our community shed in Keynsham. You're welcome to pop down on a Tuesday night and have a chat with our resident lathe expert.

Jonzjob":3jucv8v0 said:
Hi D, I have PM'd you.

Hi J, thanks very much though nothing has come through, perhaps try again? Cheers!

Fergal":3jucv8v0 said:
We have a lathe at our community shed in Keynsham. You're welcome to pop down on a Tuesday night and have a chat with our resident lathe expert.

and to you fergal, thanks also, ive had a couple of offers now so ill see what comes about but ill keep you in mind, sounds like a good shed

I'll try again on here D.

I live just south of Malmesbury, about 25 mins from you. I am just settling in to our new, to us, place and now have my new workshop up and running-ish. If you would would like to get in contact then perhaps you would like to pop over. I've beee turning for about 20 odd years now as a hobby/passion and would love to be in the position to be able to pass on info on this wonderful disciplin. If you have a look at my site below you will see the kind of things I do. I love a challenge :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back