Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By bugbear
memzey wrote:A little while ago I was dead keen on trying linseed oil paint. This thread has put me right off that idea though!

It's not a paint - it's a whole alternative lifestyle!

BugBear
By Jacob
bugbear wrote:
memzey wrote:A little while ago I was dead keen on trying linseed oil paint. This thread has put me right off that idea though!

It's not a paint - it's a whole alternative lifestyle!

BugBear

No it's just paint.
It's very different from modern paints and this takes a bit of getting used to - but the end product is painted joinery in muted colours with an "eggshell" finish.
Not high gloss, not the bright colours, not so self cleaning , but much more durable and permanent.
By memzey
That’s what I thought Jacob which was why I was so keen on trying it. This thread just makes it seem like an almighty faff and nigh on impossible to get right.

All jokes aside I probably will give it a go sometime but this thread has made me weary. I dislike painting as it is and had hoped that this type of paint would be easy to get right and not flake off after a couple of years like most modern paints do. It may well prove to be more durable but I certainly appear to have got the easy to apply part all wrong! If, as with most things, there is just a knack to this then it’s not coming across clearly, to me at least, on this thread.
By Jacob
memzey wrote:That’s what I thought Jacob which was why I was so keen on trying it. This thread just makes it seem like an almighty faff and nigh on impossible to get right.....

It's very easy to get right - it just has to be brushed out very thin, much thinner than you would be used to with normal paint.
It's very easy to get wrong if you try to lay it on thick like normal paint.
By Chip shop
This has been a really interesting thread, and made more so by not so many endorses/detractors.

I would sum my experience up as follows:

Pros:
Really nice to paint on
Brilliant finish, even on manky old joinery
Low odour
Cleaning brushes is a doddle

Cons:
Drying time is bonkers in white
Getting hold of the stuff from order to delivery takes two to four weeks (which is bog all use from a trade perspective)

All in all; I'm still using it. I will never ever use it for white again, as that has been disastrous on a number of occasions. Black, light blue and brick red seem to work OK. I still get the sense that there's a a bunch hippies somewhere that water in a bowl and dance 'round a camp fire to produce it, but hey ho.

For restoration jobs and re-painting manky old windows and doors it's great. But for production work it's not so good.

Merry New Year,

Ed
By Halo Jones
OK. So we just bit the bullet and ordered three litres of linseed paint, colour matched to "The Bosses" favourite colour. This is for all our exterior windows and doors which I will be stripping, repairing and finishing in the summer. However, we have a new door to paint asap so I was wondering what the best way to store the paint will be as it is coming in one bloody great 3 L tin and I have read that if stored incorrectly it can skin over on top.
By Jacob
Shake tin upside down a few times to seal the lid joint.
Decant enough to use into a jam jar and keep the big tin shut. Always open very carefully so as to not bend the lid and spoil the seal.
If not tight shut it can skin over but it stops at that. Lift the skin off and its OK underneath. No VOCs so it won't dry out like solvent based paints. Very long shelf life even if it skins over.

I did quite a lot of old work but without stripping. It took really well to old paint cleaned down. Seems to stick to anything - did a wrought iron gate - brushed off loose paint and rust without going to a lot of trouble, and painted straight on top.
It's a mega labour saver!
By ColeyS1
Halo Jones wrote:OK. So we just bit the bullet and ordered three litres of linseed paint, colour matched to "The Bosses" favourite colour. This is for all our exterior windows and doors which I will be stripping, repairing and finishing in the summer. However, we have a new door to paint asap so I was wondering what the best way to store the paint will be as it is coming in one bloody great 3 L tin and I have read that if stored incorrectly it can skin over on top.
What brand linseed paint did you get ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By ColeyS1
Halo Jones wrote:We ended up going with Oricalcum who seem to be UK suppliers for Ottosson Fargmakeri in Sweden.
I'm yet to try my oricalcum paint but have a good feeling that it might be better than the first lot of paint I tried. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By heimlaga
One of my friends mixes his own linseed oil paint from boiled linseed oil and pigment. That's cheap.