Tru-Grind v. Sorby universal sharpening jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Help please!!

Of these two pieces of kit which would you recommend for sharpening wood turning tools?? I tend to favour the Tru-Grind so far but would really value different opinions!!

Many thanks!

Kevin

I use a Sorby with a Cruesen slow speed grinder, never had a problem with quick repeatable grinds.

I had the tru-grind when I first started woodturning and to be honest I never got on with it at all, I found that replicating angles a little bit hit and miss and was spending a lot of time setting up the jig everytime I wanted to sharpen a tool. When you have bought all the bits and bobs it isn't a particularly cheap bit of kit. I bought the sorby pro edge and have never looked back. In my humble opinion wait and buy the pro edge it really is a fantastic piece of kit.

I started off using an ebay cheap version of the wolverine but found the large sliding spoke got in the way so I sold that on and bought the universal system second hand. (Both with a 6" RP grinder with a white wheel.) The universal system does work well and is compact - but I found it as fiddly as **** to adjust and swap from gouge to skew sharpening.
I tried the oneway system on a friends set up and was about to take the plunge until I tried the Pro Edge at the Toolpost. Well there was just no going back and I got one immediately and I reused the gouge jig from the universal too. The Pro Edge is excellent and is so quick and easy to use. Once tools were re ground to remove the hollow ground from the grinding wheel they take seconds to touch up. So easy and no fiddling like the universal system.
Wish I had bought it first and not tried to cut corners!

Back