Triton tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used most brands of tools in my time and now stick mainly to Hilti for work but Hilti don't really do a range of workshop tools so was browsing the usual online auction site and saw a listing for a load of Triton workshop tools including the Workcentres with various attachments. They look good as they all interact but does anyone have an opinion on them as to what they can cope with and are they capable enough to cope with day to day use in a small output workshop ? Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

I can only vouch for the Triton Routers. I had a MOF001 and now a TRA001.

The TRA001 has been absolutely brilliant over the last 4 years or so.

Everything else mostly handheld I use Makita. Never seem to have many problems with them.

Have a word with Dennis Leverage. He used to be the main importer for Triton back in the day before they were sold out. He sells all Triton tools and seems to know all about them. Worth a call.

Hi and thanks for the response. Sadly one of the few things not for sale in the listing is an actual router although it does have an unused router table so could pair one up. I will look him up and well informed is well armed as they say, thanks again.

DAZB":2qxpvzby said:
I have used most brands of tools in my time and now stick mainly to Hilti for work but Hilti don't really do a range of workshop tools so was browsing the usual online auction site and saw a listing for a load of Triton workshop tools including the Workcentres with various attachments. They look good as they all interact but does anyone have an opinion on them as to what they can cope with and are they capable enough to cope with day to day use in a small output workshop ? Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.
Are you considering buying a Triton Workcentre?

Looking into the possibility but asking about how suitable they are for day to day use as if they are mid range in ability then I will look at going with more able machinery as it is not something I want to buy then find I have to upgrade in 12 months.

The Triton work centre and tools are a hobby standard set of machines, when you come to workshop output their shortcomings will soon manifest themselves, lots of detail things that you don't think of will drive you, did drive me, mad, my advice would be to buy some much better equipment for a small output workshop, that way you will only buy once.

Mike

EDIT: our posts crossed.

DAZB":lkl7n0gj said:
I will look him up and well informed is well armed as they say, thanks again.

Contact details:

Dennis
https://www.tritontools.uk.com
01449 781761

He'll be able to hook you up with a router for the table.

I think I have seen the Triton bundle. About 700 quid?

Personally I wouldn't be able to work with one of those work centre things on a daily basis.

The frustrating things on the Triton Router table is the switch interlock, when your raise the router to change the bit it locks the spindle automatically, you then have to get under the table to unlock it, then adjust to height and get under the table again to lock the height, but adjusting the bit is fraught with its own problems, if you are using a bearing guided bit and have the fence in place you can't get to the height winder, its under the fence, this may be fine for some in a domestic hobby shop, but drove me up the wall in my hobby workshop.

Mike

The work centre is fine for occasional use, and is as accurate as you make it when setting it up, ( nightmare to set it up accuratly) the fence markings are not that accurate and the dust extraction is (as all table saws) pitiful, below the table its a bag to catch the dust, I went the extra mile and constructed this to attach to my Numatic:
Triton guard.jpg

This improved matter a great deal, the one thing that is very good on the centre is the additional mitre sled that slots into the side of the unit and extend its capability to enable doors and the like to be trimmed, I sold all of my Triton gear on, but I miss this extended facility, sometimes.

Mike

Attachments

• Triton guard.jpg
    Triton guard.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,108
MikeJhn":zpqcnyr6 said:
if you are using a bearing guided bit and have the fence in place you can't get to the height winder,

Mike

Mike,
I just turned the mounting plate 180 degrees so the adjustment hole is at the front, not under the fence. As I use the table away from a wall, no problem reaching the switch from the back. As the router is now out of warranty and is wired (along with attached shop vac) via a NVR switch, I've been wondering whether it's possible to disable the switch lock - maybe cut off the slider?
Graham.

The Triton Table has a dedicated insert plate that only allows the Router to be fitted in one position, it is not possible to turn the router or the plate through 180degs.

Switch lock can be disabled, look on you tube for a guide.

Mike

MikeJhn":1htbj6f2 said:
The Triton Table has a dedicated insert plate that only allows the Router to be fitted in one position, it is not possible to turn the router or the plate through 180degs.

Switch lock can be disabled, look on you tube for a guide.

Mike

OK, see your problem, my table's home built so plate fits either way. Will have a browse on you tube thanks.

Its not a problem for me anymore, I have an Axminster UJK professional table with lift, everything is catered for above the table, no more bending down fiddling under the table for a lock or switch, until you use a router table with theses facilities you don't realise how much of a compromise some tables are.

That was the point of my posts, it was to let the OP know that the Triton gear is only hobby use and would soon show its shortcommings in a semi-professional shop environment.

Mike

I completely agree with Mike, " The Triton work centre and tools are a hobby standard set of machines, when you come to workshop output their shortcomings will soon manifest themselves, lots of detail things that you don't think of will drive you, did drive me, mad, my advice would be to buy some much better equipment for a small output workshop, that way you will only buy once. "

I had the Triton Workcentre, the thin plate, ( see attached ) holding the crown guard in position wouldn't stay straight.
Often the workpiece would stall, stop, getting a step cut or burnt. I didn't think that was very safe. I had an inverted Triton circular saw, in the workcentre. Saw I thought was pretty decent quality, though made a hell of a racket, feeding dust into a little Triton dust bucket, all very Micky Mouse I sold it all.

I also had a Triton router table and stand, was functional but again quite Micky Mouse. I also sold that and got a, 'proper' router table, cast iron top and sliding table, oozes quality, properly up to the job.

I think Triton tools have good reviews, like plunge routers, circular saws. As I say their circular saw was good quality, well built solid. Though after my experience of the work centre and router table and stand, this has put me right off buying Triton I'd prefer to buy another, well reviewed brand.

Attachments

• s-l400 (1) (Small).jpg
    s-l400 (1) (Small).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,578
Thanks for all the input everyone who has commented and I may go with the option of watching the lot I have seen and see how it pans out. I have a long list of other machines on my watch list but thought maybe a fully compatible set up would be a good choice but if it is likely to need to be upgraded in the not too distant then something more meaty may be best. Thanks again to all.

I have the current version of the Triton Workcentre saw and router table. If you are considering these for precision furniture making, then you might want to keep looking. However, I don't think Triton marketed these as a suitable substitute for a cabinet saw or dedicated router table.

When I bought the equipment, I didn't have any delusions that I was buying a bargain setup that would perform the same as more expensive tools. I wanted a decent table saw that would break down 19mm (3/4-inch) sheet goods, would make repeatable cuts with a minimum amount of adjustments, and most importantly, could be folded up and moved out of the way so I could use my garage for our cars when I wasn't making sawdust.

The Triton Workcentre saw and router table filled a capability gap for me for nearly a year and I don't regret buying it. I even loaded it in the back of my Mondeo to go to a friend's house to help make some cabinets and shelving for his garage and basement. I haven't used it since setting up my basement shop, so it remains tucked away gathering dust until needed. I am building a dedicated router table in my shop using Incra components, so I will use the TRA001 router for that.

There will no doubt be plenty of suggestions to help you spend your money, but only you can decide value over cost for your requirements. If you lived closer to Darmstadt, Germany, I might be willing to make the decision a bit easier for you. :D

Back