Traditional Mirror Framing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards details go how large pictures and mirrors would have traditionally been made and assembled in the days before underpinners and Morsos? In particular I'm trying to find specific details on rebate layouts and how the backs were constructed. I'm not looking for details on how the mitres were cut.

Thanks.

In case anyone searches this in the future. There's a lot of good information on traditional mirror frame construction in Volume 3, Bernard E. Jones, "The Practical Woodworker".

custard":2dpwjemu said:
In case anyone searches this in the future. There's a lot of good information on traditional mirror frame construction in Volume 3, Bernard E. Jones, "The Practical Woodworker".

Ah, you've found the first place I thought of!

There's a chapter (18 pages) in Cassell's "Cabinetwork and Joinery", edited by Paul Hasluck, but I don't think it's online anywhere. (If you have very specific questions I could take some photos.)

There is bound to be something in the Tools for Working Wood reprints of "Work" magazine, as it's the sort of light woodworking amateurs of the time would have wanted to do. If you have a look at their blog, you might be able to find the right issues - there is an index there somewhere.

In the same sort of way there will be bits and pieces in "Amateur Work" available online as noted here.

AndyT":2lnc6wej said:
Ah, you've found the first place I thought of!

There's a chapter (18 pages) in Cassell's "Cabinetwork and Joinery", edited by Paul Hasluck, but I don't think it's online anywhere. (If you have very specific questions I could take some photos.)

There is bound to be something in the Tools for Working Wood reprints of "Work" magazine, as it's the sort of light woodworking amateurs of the time would have wanted to do. If you have a look at their blog, you might be able to find the right issues - there is an index there somewhere.

In the same sort of way there will be bits and pieces in "Amateur Work" available online as noted here.

Hello Andy, Bernard Jones is clear that larger frames need two rebates not one, one for the framed item and one for the backing boards. I'd still welcome a bit more information on the backing boards themselves, shiplapped butted or T&G, any favoured timber, typical thickness? Is there something between the wooden backing boards and the mirror back? Painting the mirror rebate black, any particular type of paint? At what size does bracing start to be required and how is the bracing constructed?

I've never see "Work" before, so thanks for that link!

Ok, Custard, here is a bit more info. Luckily for you I just happen to be sitting at the PC with a shelf full of old books and a handy camera!

These are from yet another Paul Hasluck book (he wrote loads) - published as "Woodworking" by Cassells in 1912. (There's a good cheap paperback reprint of this, still around, labelled as "The Handyman's Book" from Bracken Books in 1995.)

IMG_3865_zpsx3v1vrub.jpg

IMG_3866_zpsftz2rwaa.jpg

IMG_3867_zpso3gl1oza.jpg

IMG_3868_zpsaailvbej.jpg

As for the boards themselves, we do have two old Edwardian wardrobes which can serve as real life examples. On this one, the full length mirror is backed with a conventional frame and panel, which has shrunk quite badly:

20150413_134204_zpsu88qiz0d.jpg

20150413_134224_zpscgmvv1ue.jpg

The other just has a glued up wide board, nailed on which has lasted ok:

20150413_134338_zpst0obkgjt.jpg

From looking at the book, these lightweight boards would just be covering up the big hole, not touching the mirror, which would be independently held in place by slips of wood fixed into the rebate.

I hope this helps - are you planning on making one?

Back