Track saw square jig thingy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw a GRS-16 in Axminster for £180, lovely bit of kit but too much for me to justify so decided to mock up a DIY jobbie today. A couple of errors, forgot to cut the notches so will have to re drill for the guide bolts and I need to order a clamp like the one in the pic even though it's pretty solid without but I think the square is decent enough to work. A few cuts will soon prove one way or the other. :)

A bit of scrap 10mm SRBP sheet ( Tufnol ), scrap bit of alu tile trim, couple of 8mm bolts and some d/s tape.

Cut the basic shape, drilled and tapped the bolt holes after very careful setting up, rounded the bolt heads, cut slightly short and cut slot in thread end to take a screwdriver.
Locked the whole contraption in place using a known accurate try square, slid the tile trim under the track base, ( it's slightly thinner than the grip strips so perfect ) marked position accurately, removed the jig and lightly stuck the trim on with double sided tape.
Locked it all in place again, double checked for square and applied pressure to set the trim on the tape. When I have the clamp and have sorted the notches for clamps etc will probably screw or pin the trim as well. Once set up again I'll epoxy the bolts in as well probably.

Attachments

• toggle clamp.jpg
    toggle clamp.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 870
  • TS jig 5.jpg
    TS jig 5.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 870
  • TS jig 4.jpg
    TS jig 4.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 871
  • TS jig 3.jpg
    TS jig 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 870
  • TS jig 2.jpg
    TS jig 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 870
  • TS jig 1.jpg
    TS jig 1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 871
  • TS jig 0.jpg
    TS jig 0.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 871
Nice job. I am considering if it possible to add a clamp to a large aluminium framing square to achieve something similar.

I've just ordered a couple of spring clamps from China so will be a few weeks but cost in the uk was prohibitive with postage.

Doesn't that make the track sit higher on the workpiece at one end?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's all well and good, but is it square to 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a mm? :D

I really don't understand why the proper ones are so expensive. At the end of the day, it's only as acurate as your track, and even the Festool tracks can be had for £50

sammy.se":3sqjbt15 said:

No it doesn't Sam, the square sits against the edge of the workpiece with the track dead flat.

Have cut up a sheet of 18mm MDF this morning and looks very square to me, diagonals are spot on. :D

transatlantic":16l5nuo9 said:
That's all well and good, but is it square to 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a mm? :D

I really don't understand why the proper ones are so expensive. At the end of the day, it's only as acurate as your track, and even the Festool tracks can be had for £50

Very fair point though I can't produce woodwork to that tolerance. :lol:

I can't see the price either though as I said it beautifully made.

Lons":2dhwt8py said:
sammy.se":2dhwt8py said:

No it doesn't Sam, the square sits against the edge of the workpiece with the track dead flat.

Have cut up a sheet of 18mm MDF this morning and looks very square to me, diagonals are spot on. :D

Durr, of course :) Thanks - I think I will have a go at making one of those too!

Latest posts

Back