Toy Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bourbon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the UK of 3'' wheels for my new project. I have looked at Hobbies but it works out expensive when I need 6 of them. I am undecided on wood or plastic. Thanks in advance.

Personally I tend to make my own. Not as difficult as you may imagine unless you want real "scale model" type wheels. I use a hole saw and scroll saw but there are plenty of other ways.

I suggest you visit a US Toymakers Forum which details a number of different methods (and suppliers, but mainly US, as you'd expect). Whatever/whichever, I've found wheels to often be the most expensive part of a toy project, but there are exceptions (e.g. In my local DIY establishment I found some cheap turned beech furniture/floor protectors which I modded into quite acceptable wheels for one particular project).

As you say, there are UK suppliers, Hobbies amongst others, but as you also say, they are all pretty expensive.

Link to Toymaking Forum:

http://www.toymakingplans.com/index.php

As said, there's a Forum there with all sorts of interesting stuff (click "Forum" on the header page), and they also sell a wide range of their own plans under various sub-divisions (e.g. outdoor, trucks n cars, etc, etc).
HTH

Back