Paint / Varnish Stripper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidCr

Reaction score
I am new to the UK and have been frustrated trying to find a paint/varnish stripper that actually works. After trying a few brands that have no effective impact on the existing finish and a few projects under way, I am starting to despair. Clearly the effective chemicals have been banned here and what you are left with is an expensive paste that causes more mess than removes existing finish. There are applications that become a nightmare task without access to some form of stripper.

Can someone direct me to a product that actually works or share with me what people are doing to overcome this problem.

Starchem Synstryp is the real deal if you can source it (also rather expensive and comes in 5 litres bottles minimum I believe).

I use this, its good strong stuff. Removed many layers of paint and gung from our vintage caravan and that paint had been on there for 60 years. Certainly as good as the old stuff.
I cant post a link but search on ebay for
Heavy Duty Industrial Strength 5 Litre Paint Stripper 5L Paint Stripper
That will get you to it, and its the cheapest I have come across.

Hi Andrew

Yes, I am in Thurston just outside of Bury St. Edmunds, just moved here a few months ago. A really helpful forum this, glad to have found it.

Cheers

Back