Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today i 'made' a stall at an table sale for the RNLI

View attachment 120836

Note the coat rack with shelves and key hook display at the back. The table top and the vertical coffee table top are both sequoia, the cutting blocks are oak. The tensegrity floating table is what I put my Square card reader on, and is just to get people talking (but I'd sell it if someone wanted it!). The other two coffee tables are walnut and oak, the charcuterie boards to the left, 2 are beech and 1 is ash. The tea light holders are from off-cuts of oak.
4 hours including set up and take down. No more than 20 browsers all day and 1 sale (a £35 cutting board!)
Pity about the poor sales but good on you supporting such a worthy cause.
Where I grew up in NE Scotland they had a talking mynah bird raised a lot of money for the lifeboat. Cage was set up next to the collection box out in the street and the bird just talked people into putting money in the box.
Regards
John

The bowl @Mick p and I started when I went down to visit him last week for some pointers on using the lathe has been finished by his skilled hand and I absolutely love it,
IMG_3936.jpeg
IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3938.jpg

I took a few bits of wood with me as a gift and among them was a piece of cherry, we were both definately in awe of its beauty as we worked on it, so much so that we didn't really get much done 😁
I cant wait to see what you do with the other bits I left with you @Mick p 👍👍👍

Is that the piece of Cherry you mentioned? I don't see it very often, the sawmill I buy my wood from hardly ever have any, guessing there isn't a huge amount growing in Scotland lol
One forum I am on has a lot of American members & they post a lot of items made from cherry & UK Cherry always seems to be quite pale in colour compared to theirs.

Is that the piece of Cherry you mentioned? I don't see it very often, the sawmill I buy my wood from hardly ever have any, guessing there isn't a huge amount growing in Scotland lol
One forum I am on has a lot of American members & they post a lot of items made from cherry & UK Cherry always seems to be quite pale in colour compared to theirs.
👍 it is yes, Japanese cherry, it starts out quite pale and darkens over time, the grain patterns are stunning, I did one a while ago completely by hand with nonpower tools, it seems to grow in random directions making it interesting/frustrating to work with.

So I thought my very first turning was a failure as it broke off the lathe before I could sand and finish it and it had a couple of catch marks on the base but out of boredom I hand sanded it and put a coat of clear bees wax on it and it actually looks pretty good (to me at least) it's from a pallet block that was approximately 200x100x100mm, the stem is 8mm thick and the cup wall is about 1mm most of the way down. Not 100% sure on the wood species but it looks like it could be Iroko
20211103_092453.jpg
20211103_092519.jpg

Outer pieces are of oak, the centre and handle are old pine.
Finished off with mahogany tinted oil.
(Idea from Wilker Do on YouTube)

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_091808.jpg
    IMG_20211101_091808.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20211101_091742.jpg
    IMG_20211101_091742.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211101_091701.jpg
    IMG_20211101_091701.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211101_091652.jpg
    IMG_20211101_091652.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 30
Hi and welcome WTB, nicely done, my thoughts are that if it’s a mallet for woodwork the proportions are a little off, heads a bit long and the handle's a bit on the light side?
Anyway, let’s hear a bit more about you and your work pls. Ian

Hi and welcome WTB, nicely done, my thoughts are that if it’s a mallet for woodwork the proportions are a little off, heads a bit long and the handle's a bit on the light side?
Anyway, let’s hear a bit more about you and your work pls. Ian
You’re probably right on both counts Ian
I’m just starting on picking up my love of working with wood, now that I’ve retired... again! (30yrs in the fire service and 20yrs as a professional photographer). I have a few tools that I wanted to get to know better before trying to make anything of complexity!
I have a table saw (and made a trolley for it), and have watched many videos and have made an accurate cross cut sled. I have fitted out my garage with a solid workbench and bench top drill press, wood vice, lights and have a heap of sawn oak donated by a friend who relocated to wales and wasn’t going to take with him!
I started out carving figurines made from an old coffee table made of ply during my off days as a fireman. Roughly cut to the shape I wanted and glued together and then carved and sanded to finish.
I followed Walker Do’s vids on how to put these mallets together. (More as an exercise rather than for utilisation)!
I consider myself an all round DIYer, having converted a loft to bedroom and shower & toilet room. Frame work, plaster-boarding and plastering, electrical wiring and plumbing!
I would like to further my enjoyment!

Customer received order and is very happy

That's the most important bit, do you make the wooden boxes as well? I have enough problems trying to sell pens never mind the wooden boxes to go with them lol

The boxes are not usually included with an order so at the quoting stage I give 2 prices, First is with the boxes then after a day or so I give the price without the boxes as it justifies a price drop without lowering the value of a pen. I buy the boxes to order.

The boxes are not usually included with an order so at the quoting stage I give 2 prices, First is with the boxes then after a day or so I give the price without the boxes as it justifies a price drop without lowering the value of a pen. I buy the boxes to order.

I thought you might be making the boxes, I have seen a couple of different style wooden box but not ones like those, I have just given people all the prices at the same time, Pen in velvet pouch, pen in plastic box & pen in velvet presentation case, giving them a price is about as far as I get lol, do you find your way of sending the quotes out at different times works better?

You’re probably right on both counts Ian
I’m just starting on picking up my love of working with wood, now that I’ve retired... again! (30yrs in the fire service and 20yrs as a professional photographer). I have a few tools that I wanted to get to know better before trying to make anything of complexity!
I have a table saw (and made a trolley for it), and have watched many videos and have made an accurate cross cut sled. I have fitted out my garage with a solid workbench and bench top drill press, wood vice, lights and have a heap of sawn oak donated by a friend who relocated to wales and wasn’t going to take with him!
I started out carving figurines made from an old coffee table made of ply during my off days as a fireman. Roughly cut to the shape I wanted and glued together and then carved and sanded to finish.
I followed Walker Do’s vids on how to put these mallets together. (More as an exercise rather than for utilisation)!
I consider myself an all round DIYer, having converted a loft to bedroom and shower & toilet room. Frame work, plaster-boarding and plastering, electrical wiring and plumbing!
I would like to further my enjoyment!
I tried to upload a couple of photos to show what I've done and it wouldn't let me!

I thought you might be making the boxes, I have seen a couple of different style wooden box but not ones like those, I have just given people all the prices at the same time, Pen in velvet pouch, pen in plastic box & pen in velvet presentation case, giving them a price is about as far as I get lol, do you find your way of sending the quotes out at different times works better?

Depends really on your price entry point, too cheap and you cheapen it even more by offering to reduce the cost for boxes. I have only been doing pens for 2 minutes so am no expert on the selling prices but if you want to messages me I will return it with my phone number and we can have a chat as this is not the right place to be talking about selling prices and profit v losses, ;)

you need a minimum number of posts to post pics and message people. Think it's 3, 5 or 10

A bit narrow for cricket.
I wouldn't have though Balsa would be particularly nice to turn, bit like punkey spongey waterlogged poplar

Back