Has anyone got a Trend prt pro and how do you find it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am still searching for a router table and I have narrowed it down to this one or a home made one using Festool cms legs and frame only with a ujk lifter and freud fence if that will fit together. I am going to have a good look at the Trend prt pro which looks ok. Only one draw back will be drilling the main top to take my Makita then having no lift.
I am at the point where I may just get a t11 to leave in it ?. Any feed back on the Trend PRT PRO table would be nice.
Thanks tbone.

cant comment on the table but I use a T11EK in my (now obsolete Axy) router table and you don't need a lift because it has an adjuster with a long bolt and Bristol knob that operates it from above. Its an absolutely superb design and is no hassle at all to operate. The bolt is a 12mm hex so I have an old dewalt 3.5V driver that I got free with something dewalt years ago...with a 12mm hex socket permanently on it that lives on the router table shelf. Bingo, an electric lift that works an absolute charm. When I get close to the setting I want I do the fine adjustment by hand with the hand tool. Really the driver is just used to wind the collet up and down at bit changeover time.

For height settings I use the trend little manual height setting gauge which is cheap as chips and works a charm. http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-depth-gauge

Random Orbital Bob":1u4jvu5q said:
cant comment on the table but I use a T11EK in my (now obsolete Axy) router table and you don't need a lift because it has an adjuster with a long bolt and Bristol knob that operates it from above. Its an absolutely superb design and is no hassle at all to operate. The bolt is a 12mm hex so I have an old dewalt 3.5V driver that I got free with something dewalt years ago...with a 12mm hex socket permanently on it that lives on the router table shelf. Bingo, an electric lift that works an absolute charm. When I get close to the setting I want I do the fine adjustment by hand with the hand tool. Really the driver is just used to wind the collet up and down at bit changeover time.

For height settings I use the trend little manual height setting gauge which is cheap as chips and works a charm. http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-depth-gauge

Now that's a really clever idea, Worth five pound of anybodies money! Rodders

Here ya go...just snapped it

Heres the driver located on the hex
router lift1.jpg

And the manual fine adjuster that ships with the T11EK
router lift2.jpg

And the Hex which both of them are locating which is accessed through the base of the router and via a hole in the top (which I had to cut myself but which in a trend made table you probably wouldn't).
router lift3.jpg

Attachments

• router lift1.jpg
    router lift1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 756
  • router lift2.jpg
    router lift2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 755
  • router lift3.jpg
    router lift3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 751
Thanks R O Bob
I was thinking I could get the table and the router together and leave that one fitted and still have change left on what it would cost for the cms and insert. Don't get me wrong I would get the full festool system if I had the money.
So will the T11 be up to the job?.

I used to have to prt its an ok router table I sold it recently to a ukworkshop member,I am going to make myself a table at some point.

I still have a couple of t11,s they are really good routers u cant go wrong

The T11 is a very substantial router indeed. The job I do most often and the reason for my original purchase of the table and the T11 is raised panel doors. The fielding cutter is enormous (89mm from memory) and is the largest cutter you can safely use in a router table....beyond that you're in spindle moulder territory. To run that cutter you need a very chunky router. Absolutely MUST be 1/2" shank and preferably a meaty motor. The T11EK is theor top of the range model and it is an absolute beast. I've done many raised panels in solid oak and it really does eat them if you're careful, use backer boards and proper cross cut sledges etc

Hi I was the member who bought Fretnot's PRT and T11 (thanks again Fretnot :D) , excellent combination. As has been said previously the way the T11 raises the bit is simple yet ingenious and the router itself is a lovely lump, able to handle anything i have thrown at is so far...thoroughly recommend it.

If you are interested i have noticed there is a PRT table on ebay at the moment that comes with a T11 as well....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400686595781? ... 1423.l2649

The additional beauty of the table is that the legs come off, so i have managed to integrate my PRT with my table saw on a mobile base with very little work, just a food for though, see my WIP of TS200 workstation build if you are interested.

good luck and go get one!

Thanks guys
This feed back gives me the confidence to go ahead. This combo was looking good but there is not a lot of feed back or reviews on this pair. When I picked my router to use out of a table I got good feed back on the Makita so I got one.
In the router top ten shoot out that I used it said that the 2.2 fest was the winner followed by the Makita a close second and the biggest shock to me was the bottom 10th out of ten was the Dewalt which I had been using from a mate. Now I have an old Makita square base that jumps out your hand when you start it but is harder to set up and found the dewalt much better to use. I think the dewalt and the trend are very similar to look at so that test put me off. The third one was a Freud and after that it said that all the others were no where near the top 3. Think I wll just take a leap of faith and get a trend set-up.
Could any one put things into prospective for me with regard to the standing of all the big routers ?

Cheers tbone.

I have been making some calls and I can get both items new posted to my door for about £800 ish. I have contacted the guy from the ebay one and he wants about £650 and £30 for postage just under £700. I could put a low bid in but I no what he wants. He was a real nice guy and he was the one who bought that festool cms off ebay last week that I was looking at. The router has been back for repair and he did not have to tell me that but he did. If it was closer I would look at it but think I may be better off with new items ? I will keep you posted.
Cheers tbone.

Hello there
I think I have been given sound advice from all the above people. Buying new kit is a big deal to me so I like to check things out rather than jumping in quick and the regretting it later. I have tracked two prt tables on the bay, one with a router and one without. I thought I would pay that little bit extra and get a new one. I ordered it yesterday so it should be with me soon. I may well get a t11 with the lifter and keep it in the table as you have made them seem worth the money and you have had a lot of use out of them.
I will keep you posted and thanks again. tbone.

A big box was dropped of at the house next door while I was at work on Friday from (Powertoolword of Darlington).
I was passing there through the week so popped in to see them and pick up a trend saw blade for worktops. They have a large stock of trend gear but had to place the order for the table which was a couple of days.
I just put the box in the garage and will open it on Sunday for a look see.
Cheers tbone.

Random Orbital Bob":2jghw2ag said:
The T11 is a very substantial router indeed. The job I do most often and the reason for my original purchase of the table and the T11 is raised panel doors. The fielding cutter is enormous (89mm from memory) and is the largest cutter you can safely use in a router table....beyond that you're in spindle moulder territory. To run that cutter you need a very chunky router. Absolutely MUST be 1/2" shank and preferably a meaty motor. The T11EK is theor top of the range model and it is an absolute beast. I've done many raised panels in solid oak and it really does eat them if you're careful, use backer boards and proper cross cut sledges etc

Bob I had to go near to Darlington on Monday and popped into Powertool World for a Trend lock jig and I picked up a new T11 for the table. Nice bit of kit, will keep you posted.
tbone.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the PRT Pro as I have a T11 in a Triton table that I might like to change.

Back