Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Pedro
Hi
I have seen this saw (SIP 01332 10 inch Professional Cast Iron Table Saw) advertised on ebay and from SIP for around £1000.00. Can anyone please give me some advice on whether it is a good buy?
I am building a new garage and looking to set up a workshop.
Thanks in advance

Pedro
By RogerP
MMUK wrote:Personally I'd buy the Bosch for half the price :)

... but there's no comparison. The Bosch has an ali table and a horrid noisy brush motor, whereas the SIP has a cast iron table an induction motor and a cabinet stand. Chalk and cheese.
By MMUK
RogerP wrote:
MMUK wrote:Personally I'd buy the Bosch for half the price :)

... but there's no comparison. The Bosch has an ali table and a horrid noisy brush motor, whereas the SIP has a cast iron table an induction motor and a cabinet stand. Chalk and cheese.

Have you used the Bosch? It may have a brushed motor but it isn't noisy in the least.

And what's wrong with an alu table? Is it just cast iron snobbery I see here?
By siggy_7
The 01332 is quite a respected saw, it's essentially the same as the Axminster AW10BSB2 (£800 at Axminster). Off eBay - is that a new machine? If not then it's pricey, if it is new then £200 more than the bare saw from Axminster but depends if you get the extension tables or sliding table with it.
By fretnot
I bought the axminster version of this saw it is somewhat agricultural and may benefit from a larger motor but it does what it says on the box and needed no adjustment right out of the box,

it also has a three year guarantee the aditonal cast tables that you can buy as an extra are well worth having, but the jury is still out on the £400 sliding table option I don't want to say to much before I have had the chance to fettle it..take a good look at it and put a little weight on it and make your own mind up..

overall good value recommended
By RogerP
fretnot wrote:I bought the axminster version of this saw it is somewhat agricultural and may benefit from a larger motor...........

The iTech version (is it basically the same thing?) has a 2.2kw (3hp) motor

http://tinyurl.com/ox6t4ab
By RogerP
Pedro wrote:Thanks in advance for the advice

This saw has a large cast iron table and comes complete with two cast iron extension tables and a cabinet stand.

That particular make and model is available cheaper elsewhere.....

http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/tr ... d_SIP01332

..... might been even better deals with a bit of net-searching.
By fretnot
The itech is not the same at all it may look the same with a passing glance but the itech is not the same quality I have first hand experience and have one sitting on my drive awaiting collection by s&s as I write this..

do not buy the itech machine
By RogerP
fretnot wrote:The itech is not the same at all it may look the same with a passing glance but the itech is not the same quality I have first hand experience and have one sitting on my drive awaiting collection by s&s as I write this..

do not buy the itech machine
Useful info. Please expand.