Kity K5 combi machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cliff
Seen your post from a while back. Any change you have the user manual for the Kity K5. I am from South Africa and bought a machine secondhand and want to repair it. Regards Franz Gerber
Lons":1xv1fhws said:
bigplum":1xv1fhws said:
hi, would it be possible to have a copy of the instructions too?
I bought a (nearly)complete but dismantled K5 some time ago
I'm also after a ripping/guide fence for the saw if anyones got a scrap or cheap machine

thanks
Cliff

PM sent

franz.gerber":21rc4yen said:
Hi Cliff
Seen your post from a while back. Any change you have the user manual for the Kity K5. I am from South Africa and bought a machine secondhand and want to repair it. Regards Franz Gerber
Lons":21rc4yen said:
bigplum":21rc4yen said:
hi, would it be possible to have a copy of the instructions too?
I bought a (nearly)complete but dismantled K5 some time ago
I'm also after a ripping/guide fence for the saw if anyones got a scrap or cheap machine

thanks
Cliff

PM sent

Wrong name Franz but no problems sending you the manual, I'll send you a pm with my email address.
I've sent loads to South Africa, Kity must have been very active in RSA.

regards
Bob

Hi Bob

I'm picking up a K5 next week and would really appreciate a copy of the manual please, if you're still providing them?

Regards

Max

I am now the owner of a Kitty combination set up. It's the K704 I think.

I remember collecting it, new, with my dad from Axminster Tools when they were in the high street. I have a catalogue together with some instruction manuals. The catalogue is dated 1984.

My dad always wanted me to take the machines as he was no longer able to use them. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to do it, partly because it implied some degree of impeding mortality and also because I didn't have space for them.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, my wife and I have moved (and we have more space) and my dad passed away last July. His placed needed to be sold and emptied. I now have his machines in my garage.

1675522785533.png

It comprises a 636 planer / thicknesser , a 627 spindle moulder , a 617 saw bench and a 652 slot morticer - and a central motor and belts.

It's been sat there for the best part of two months while I sort out everything else. I had in my mind that I would sell it. Same goes for the 613 bandsaw and the Luna W178 extractor (not shown). I have most of these machines in some other form and figured that it would be madness to duplicate.

The trouble is, my dad meant so much to me and I struggle to let anything like this go. I'm inclined to get everything working if I can and will probably keep them.

One thing which seems to be a problem at the moment is that the slot morticer doesn't seem to move. The red levers cause no movement of the table whatsoever. There is evidence of surface oxidation and rust here and there, certainly on the bearing shafts. I don't want to permanently damage anything. I doubt if any of the machines have been used for at least 10 years, possibly 15.

Is there a recommended procedure for freeing everything up? I don't want to liberally apply WD40 as I hate the idea of using the stuff - unless this is the best way to free things up.

Last edited:
I am now the owner of a Kitty combination set up. It's the K704 I think.

I remember collecting it, new, with my dad from Axminster Tools when they were in the high street. I have a catalogue together with some instruction manuals. The catalogue is dated 1984.

My dad always wanted me to take the machines as he was no longer able to use them. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to do it, partly because it implied some degree of impeding mortality and also because I didn't have space for them.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, my wife and I have moved (and we have more space) and my dad passed away last July. His placed needed to be sold and emptied. I now have his machines in my garage.

View attachment 152705

It comprises a 636 planer / thicknesser , a 627 spindle moulder , a 617 saw bench and a 652 slot morticer - and a central motor and belts.

It's been sat there for the best part of two months while I sort out everything else. I had in my mind that I would sell it. Same goes for the 613 bandsaw and the Luna W178 extractor (not shown). I have most of these machines in some other form and figured that it would be madness to duplicate.

The trouble is, my dad meant so much to me and I struggle to let anything like this go. I'm inclined to get everything working if I can and will probably keep them.

One thing which seems to be a problem at the moment is that the slot morticer doesn't seem to move. The red levers cause no movement of the table whatsoever. There is evidence of surface oxidation and rust here and there, certainly on the bearing shafts. I don't want to permanently damage anything. I doubt if any of the machines have been used for at least 10 years, possibly 15.

Is there a recommended procedure for freeing everything up? I don't want to liberally apply WD40 as I hate the idea of using the stuff - unless this is the best way to free things up.
No answers but I couldn't sell such a machine! Like selling your memories!

Thanks Lons

I found this one for sale.
What do you think about it ?
What should I check?
Thank you

Attachments

• 6d9b6d7a-0e4e-4a1e-95b3-bbda82e3e918.jpg
    6d9b6d7a-0e4e-4a1e-95b3-bbda82e3e918.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9223a3b3-7a81-40df-9fec-89c16111b5d6.jpg
    9223a3b3-7a81-40df-9fec-89c16111b5d6.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • f020aca2-bcc3-440c-bab7-9e1df62af1f2.jpg
    f020aca2-bcc3-440c-bab7-9e1df62af1f2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi Alfa
It's not possible to say from those pics though it does look well used and not cared for. It all depends on how complete the machine is because they often come with parts missing and spares are difficult to get and of course the price. All subject to personal inspection to make sure it's in working order. If you buy unseen then you're taking a gamble

Just as an example I sold my K5 very quickly, earlier this year for £500 though it was in great condition and had quite a few extras and spares.
On top of that I lucked out because I also swapped some additional cutters and blades worth maybe £50 to the same buyer for a box full of planes including a mint Quansheng 5 1/2 worth on it's own around £200 and the others are excellent as well.

The seller says:
"Obviously it comes with all the accessories including some cutters"
I will go in person price €200.
Since I have no experience, what should I check?
Thank you

I had a K5 from new and whilst well used was in good working order when I upgraded to separates.
Things to check - all the tables are anodised aluminium so surface hard but underlying casting is not so check they are in good nick and not bent in any way.
Check the planer drum rotates smoothly and that the bearings aren't shot and that the thicknesser rise and fall works - these often get neglected and need regular cleaning to run smoothly. Also check the thicknesser feed roller actually works - it's driven off a set of gears on the side via a friction wheel via a glorified rubber band - actually neoprene but very flimsy and prone to stretching.
The rest is kinda obvious - check the spindle for any play - you really can't load it up that much so likely it will have only seen light use and check the bearings on the table saw - again it'd be difficult to abuse since it's only capable of light work.
A very capable machine and super compact with limited capacity in all areas, however served me well for years making oak face framed kitchen units with panelled doors and many other cabinets around the house. I didn't have many accessories with mine adjustable sliding fence and a cross-slide for the spindle- super handy for cutting endgrain with Euro profile cutters for panelled doors etc. Not a biggy if you don't have them as its quite simple to make up the non-standard T-slot section on the spindle out of hardwood and fab your own with some suitable aluminium profiles.

I have a kity direct drive with the planner thicknesser. Saw and spindle moulder.

I have the instructions that came with it. I can send scans, or even hard copies. what I do need is the alloy guide bar that is part of the saw mitre cutter.

I bought a K5 (I think) a couple of years ago. Lots of bits and not working. I did get it running and made a new base for it but when I went to start it today it trips out the shed supply. Is this likely to be a capacitor issue? Also, I don't have the morticer with it or a manual. If someone can send me a manual then that would be great. Does anyone know where I might find a morticer?

Thanks

Alan

I meant to attach this picture with the thread

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_4690[1].JPG
    IMG_4690[1].JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0
I've tested my machine with no earth connected (very carefully) and it runs. I then re-connected the earth and gave it a good blast with the air line to clear out any dust in the switch box. When I tried it, it ran but then tripped the breaker when I switched it off. Any ideas from anyone please.

Alan

I've tested my machine with no earth connected (very carefully) and it runs. I then re-connected the earth and gave it a good blast with the air line to clear out any dust in the switch box. When I tried it, it ran but then tripped the breaker when I switched it off. Any ideas from anyone please.

Alan
Possibly the smoothing/supressor cap has gone short circuit? Disconnect one leg, and see if it runs with the earth on. You should really get someone savvy with electrics to have a look. Be careful.

Latest posts

Back