Silver dressing room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
We just finished this project.
2 rooms converted into dressing rooms, one for clothes and one for shoes and handbags.
The furniture is sprayed metallic silver, official colour is champagne silver. the inserted panels are woven leather with onyx handles. Oak veneer and silver internals.
The lid lifts up on the glass top for sunglasses and there's about 4 more drawers underneath, some internal with sunglasses and nik naks, all with detailed inserts

NDNgHr0.jpg

Xn7w5Pb.jpg

qGexzxZ.jpg

PpD0SLQ.jpg

oTnJXXO.jpg

8zRsbJi.jpg

yiKIPRL.jpg

wq4tEcb.jpg

marcros":1atyvxkr said:
Is this one that you were doing personally Bob?

No, during furlough period I was making a kitchen, will be fitted in about 4 weeks.
Not a lot of imput on this one from me, apart from organisation ............. I just take the praise (hopefully) :D

All the guys are back now apart from the sprayer, who is aware that he is furloughed till at least end of June and then position reviewed.

As always, a top job!
You do some interesting projects.

Bob, your photos always fantastic, you do your own photography or use a professional?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Jonathan S":is3as3v4 said:
Bob, your photos always fantastic, you do your own photography or use a professional?

Just a camera phone, one of my chaps fitted the handles on Friday and then snapped the pics for me.

That brings back memories. We converted a huge country house some years ago into houses and apartments. On opening day a very striking Russian woman with a double helping of leg length, turned up and bought the largest house for cash. :shock: Our bank manager was at the launch and handled things. This was before everyone go so excited about money laundering. She then commissioned our kitchen team (aka Paul the chippy and his apprentice) to convert a large bedroom into a handbag, shoe and clothes shrine. It was unbelievably tacky. But paid well. She was married to a first division footballer. (I think they call it premier league - I am not a footballerist).

Good work Dr Bob.

Nice work as always Bob, you have certainly pitched yourself at the right end of the market.

Marineboy":142mvcw3 said:
Incredible craftsmanship but FFS, how many sunglasses do you need? Ostentatious and vulgar.

These are exactly the customers you want and need - they are not going to be affected by the economy to anywhere near the level of the rest of us, and they truly believe in conspicuous consumption. This fabulous temple to Mamon is wonderfully crafted, exactly what the client asked for, it would seem, and not something most of us would appreciate.

More importantly, the proud new owner will be unable to cope if they don't show it to all and sundry, repeatedly. Nothing like a bit of free advertising to boot.

No matter how badly the economy fares, there will always be some winners. Well played Dr Bob for getting some of that elusive "trickle-down" money from the new aristocracy.

I really like it, certainly don't think it's tacky or monumentally awful.
Yes it's flash and modern but times change guys.
The client is a city lady who needs to look the part and should she choose to spend the same %age of her income on clothes as most wives whats the issue, some guys probably spend a bigger %age of income on handplanes than she does on sunglasses.
Don't get me wrong chaps no one has upset me, but I really don't get the sheer venom of some towards modern furniture and wealth.
The husband is a professional and works huge long hours but is deservedly well remunerated, whats wrong with that?

doctor Bob":4x0pmch1 said:
I really like it, certainly don't think it's tacky or monumentally awful.
Yes it's flash and modern but times change guys.
The client is a city lady who needs to look the part and should she choose to spend the same %age of her income on clothes as most wives whats the issue, some guys probably spend a bigger %age of income on handplanes than she does on sunglasses.
Don't get me wrong chaps no one has upset me, but I really don't get the sheer venom of some towards modern furniture and wealth.
The husband is a professional and works huge long hours but is deservedly well remunerated, whats wrong with that?

It's the great, British class system at work - it's considered bad form to show off your wealth, unless it's your great-great-grandfather's wealth, in which case it's absolutely fine. It's also bad form to have wealth, in the eyes of people who don't have it. It's a cultural minefield! Having lived outside it's strictures for nearly 25 years, I find British culture can be as baffling and inscrutable as Japanese culture, and just as randomly weird.

I was brought up with the good, traditional middle-class values that said showing wealth is vulgar (unless it's a stately home, in which case you get all breathless and excited). It's actually very sensible - you get to be disparaging and condescending to people with more money than you, and still feel superior because whilst they might have more cash, they will never have the right "breeding". I have probably just opened a can of worms...

I think it's more to do with older people on here who think all furniture should look like traditional furniture.
I meet a lot of people with a lot of dough, all are really nice. People paint there own percieved picture of the wealthy because they either think they are arrogant or born lucky or screwed people over or theres a bit of the green eyed monster which kicks in. As with all walks of life most people are very pleasant.

doctor Bob":3jyorvv7 said:
I think it's more to do with older people on here who think all furniture should look like traditional furniture.
I meet a lot of people with a lot of dough, all are really nice. People paint there own percieved picture of the wealthy because they either think they are arrogant or born lucky or screwed people over or theres a bit of the green eyed monster which kicks in. As with all walks of life most people are very pleasant.

You are so much more charitable than me. It really is a very fine dressing room, but I find the sunglasses display case a little odd. However, the value of the contents is probably thousands, so no different to displaying a collection of stamps, or hand planes etc. No reason not to take pride in your possessions.

If we were all the same, life would be very dull.

Back