Don't put your tractors in a line.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a saying from the Old Tools Group, it applys to anything not just tractors.

I showed the wife this.

The big three by Racers, on Flickr

She said I had enough routers, I didn't point out the other Mof177e in the router table, or the four 1/4" routers.

Pete

I've got too many, probably about 30 x 1/2".
Should sell half of them really.
Don't really know how I ended up with so many, often buy 3 or 4 at a time and send 3-4 off for repair and suddenly loads of them. Festool and dewalt mainly.

It can't be just me, can it, who thinks those old MOF-series Elus were the peak of router-dom. Maybe dust extraction has improved a tad since then, but the quality........boy, the quality was just superb. The day I knocked mine off the end of my bench was a sad, sad day. Now I do anything I can to avoid switching a damned whiny router on.

A nice collection, Pete. I really REALLY miss my 177e and my 96e. They both knocked spots off the present day equivalents. My woodworking life is poorer without them.
S

I was at a local bike meet. A chap in a group I happened to be talking to said he fancied another bike but his wife wouldn't allow it. Another guy said just make sure it's the same colour and she'll not notice. Don't be ridiculous, the first one said, of course she will. I'm not, he said. You've got two the same colour and your wife doesn't know? His friend started to laugh. Two? he said ...... he got nine. His missus thinks he's only got one - they're all black. :D

I daren't show my Wife all my routers.....She would freak!

However, she does regularly question why I need 4 mobile dust extractors, a Jet chip extractor and 2 Numatic vacuums.
I tried explaining that they all perform different tasks but it doesn't seem to cut any ice with her....

I fish in the sea
I also fly fish
Mainly I course fish
Her majesty thinks I am very extravagant because have more than one fishing rod.

According to the Wife,....It is perfectly reasonable though to own 28 handbags and in excess of 70 pairs of boots and shoes apparently..

The secret of a blissful marriage is I don’t ask about her clothes & shoes & the GLW doesn’t ask about my tools.
She knows what I spend as she does my bookwork & I know what she spends as I pay her visa bill, so no secrets either :shock:

My wife thinks that I have too many vices, (we won't go there). I told her that my four vices are necessary and that there is one guy over on the Mig Welding Forum with, IIAC, three sheds full of vices.

Nigel.

You can never have too many routers.
Having said that, I am considering selling my latest purchase as I use the other 5 :| more often.

Nice to see a 3612 there, got 3 of those. I did have the 1/4” version of that Elu. Early 90s, made in Italy..probably the nicest router I’ve owned. I still regret selling it.

MikeG.":231vxq57 said:
It can't be just me, can it, who thinks those old MOF-series Elus were the peak of router-dom. Maybe dust extraction has improved a tad since then, but the quality........boy, the quality was just superb. The day I knocked mine off the end of my bench was a sad, sad day. Now I do anything I can to avoid switching a damned whiny router on.
We sold them in quantity from my branch in the late eighties, at least 95% for industrial use and at the time there was nothing on the market that could touch them for quality. I still have and regularly use my Mof 96e but sadly in a moment of weakness years ago I sold my 177e to a friend who offered me more £s than I could refuse, it's still going strong and I still regret selling especially when I replaced it eventually with an inferior DW 625 #-o

A swerve to beat all swerves...
Cyclists say that the optimum number of bikes needed is always X+1. 'X' being the number currently owned.
I've only got the one router though, a rather hefty Freud that I rarely think deeply about :lol:

About ten years ago I replaced a three port valve. When it came to the wiring, I was stumped. I called an electrician who said if I was "handy" I could find the info on line, if not to call him back. I looked at it, it was simple ....... on the valve side - on the household side it was a mess. (My cardinal rule of DIY - stop before you get in the merde, not just after :D .)
It really bugged me paying for something to be done on the house, even though I knew it to be necessary. My wife asked how long it was since I'd paid someone. I thought and said probably about twenty years. Well .......... we haven't done bad, then, have we?
She doesn't object in the slightest to my buying tools, she knows I don't buy them for fun.

MikeG.":3tczx8a3 said:

I've very recently had new bearings fitted in 2 x Elu 177's. Both had been used extensively since purchase in the late 80's and early 90's, so I've got no complaints.

The more modern routers, such as the Festool models, are renowned for their exceptional dust extraction. They are also far smoother in their operation and with a better finesse compared with the old Elu's.
I have the little Festool OF 1010 that I use for edge routing & rounding over on solid surface material and its dust extraction ability has to be seen to be believed.....Second to none!

I had to do the bearings and repace the body of the ELU beause the top bearing had mented the plastic!
My other MOF177 also had new bearings.
I have replced the bearings in 4 routers so far, its an east fix.
The router in my router table came of the of the skip at work!

Pete

Back