A new YouTube channel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it wasn't the intention of the thread, I did subscribe to Peter's channel :lol:

I didn't actually watch any of his videos, I don't have time to look at his channel right now, I subscribed based only on his 'introductory' video because I could see that I would like his style. So I subscribed and will go back later.

I think this highlights the importance of what someone else said - maybe create an introductory video or a few videos at 'launch' so that people can get a flavor of your channel. The unboxing will be interesting for someone googling that machine, but not encourage someone to stay once they see your channel. That's typical of my behavior anyway.

Having said that, I did subscribe, like someone said you were personable and your couple of 'spoiler alerts' etc made me think I might enjoy your style in future (non-unboxing) videos. I think it's nice to see reality in you-tube vids, all too often they're polished and perfect, but I like Rag n Brown because he's relatable in documenting his mistakes and lessons.

Good luck, and well done for taking the leap, look forward to seeing how you work in that workshop space

tomosap":1935cb4z said:
The one you haven’t mentioned is Rag and Bone Brown who I probably identify with most
Biblu":1935cb4z said:
I like Rag n Brown because he's relatable in documenting his mistakes and lessons.

Perfect example of how we are all different and finding your market.

Keith Brown seems like a really nice guy but I don't watch his channel, he never really seems to know what he is doing and uses some questionable techniques, but I can see how people warm to his bumbling style.

Tom, make sure you leave the guard on your table saw in your videos, I won't be watching if it's removed :)

Thanks all for the further comments, honestly, they are appreciated and will certainly take the tips on board!

I've just today taken delivery of a brand new camera so hoping to get some shooting done this weekend. It will most likely be a "this is me" video, but want to make sure that I get the content right and the setting too, so please check back regularly with the channel for updates.

Totally accept that my style will not be for everyone, but part of the process is being authentic as someone has already said. I will make mistakes, people will shout at me for making them, but I'm a believer we never stop learning and most importantly, it's about having fun which is something I hope to get across in future.

Cheers,
Tom

I'd say that your sort of attitude is exactly the right one. Of course not everyone will "love" your output, however good it may be, but as said, I think if you stick to that attitude you shouldn't go too far wrong to suit quite a wide spectrum of taste/interest.

Good luck, I'll watch the next one with interest (especially if you post here to say when it's up - I'm having trouble with YouTube Subs at present (at my end) so have not (yet?) subscribed to your channel.

I recall when I signed up here, the only easily found videos were the Wood Whisperer. I don’t recall his videos being on YouTube then either.
A lot has changed, YouTube is super saturated with woodworking channels and I’d imagine it could be very difficult to get noticed. I do wish Tom good luck in his endeavour.

There is always newbies coming back to woodworking from their school days or wanting to move on up from diy.
And as the lockdown has showed more people will be working from home so more time to pick up a hobby.

Find yourself a niche just like Peter Millard with his track saws would be my advice.

Don't worry about any feedback you get, good or bad. Do it because you enjoy what you're doing, wherever that might lead you. Asking for feedback is near pointless, just try to make it fun and avoid it becoming a chore.
I just participate on Instagram these days as it's quick and direct.

Back