Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By guineafowl21
Usually on forums there’s a little bubble that pops up in the corner to show you have replies to your threads. There isn’t one on UKW on my system (iPad Safari). I have to manually find the thread to check.

Is this a fault or by design? It’s a nuisance.

Many thanks
By gregmcateer
When you post, you can tick (or untick, depending on your default preference), the option to be notified of a post. You will receive an email telling you, even if you are not on ukw at the time.
That might help
By guineafowl21
Many thanks. The email notifications are variously put into Junk or lost by me, but most do get through.

It would be much better to have the bubble notification at the top. In fact, I don’t know of another forum that doesn’t have these.
By sunnybob
I'm on 3 forums and none of them have that. The only place I see that is hotmail.
If an email goes to junk, all you have to do is mark it as not junk and then they will always go into your inbox.
By guineafowl21
That’s odd! I’m on 3 other forums and they all have that.

I keep marking the emails as not junk, and they keep getting sent there after a variable amount of time.

It’s much easier to keep track of multiple threads with the bubble notification, not having to switch between email and browser for each one.

Anyway, seeing that it’s not a fault, please consider it as a suggestion.
By AndyT
In the User Control Panel you can choose whether notifications come as emails or Private Messages. If you swap to PMs, and if you have Pop-ups enabled in your browser, you should get a pop-up on each visit to the forum, if you have notifications.

This may or may not be more like what you are asking for.

But overall I think it's fair to say that the content and community motivate us regular contributors to keep going, despite the quirks of the forum software.
By whatknot
I have never seen your bubble either on any forum, to gain by that you have to visit the forum so I don't see it as a useful feature myself

The part I don't understand in this forum is why when you reply to a post, the default isn't "notify me when a reply is posted" , you have to remember to tick it, which of course, often you don't
By gregmcateer
Whatknot, if you go to Board Preferences on your account settings, at the bottom,(IIRC), you can set the default to notify you, rather than not.
HTH
Greg
By whatknot
Well there you go, only joined three years ago ;-)

Many thanks for that

I also notice in the same board preferences is a tick box for "bubble notifications" is that what the OP wanted ???
By guineafowl21
AndyT wrote:In the User Control Panel you can choose whether notifications come as emails or Private Messages. If you swap to PMs, and if you have Pop-ups enabled in your browser, you should get a pop-up on each visit to the forum, if you have notifications.

But overall I think it's fair to say that the content and community motivate us regular contributors to keep going, despite the quirks of the forum software.

As far as I can see, you can only get notified by PM if you get thanked, and have that pop up.
By guineafowl21
AndyT wrote:In the User Control Panel you can choose whether notifications come as emails or Private Messages. If you swap to PMs, and if you have Pop-ups enabled in your browser, you should get a pop-up on each visit to the forum, if you have notifications.

Again, as far as I can see, you can only get notified of a ‘thanks’ by PM, then have that pop up.

On the other forums, the bubble comes up as a number. Click that, and you get a little list of links:
“User A replied the thread B” - you can click that and go straight there.

“User A quoted your post on thread B” - as above.

“User A tagged you in thread B” - so you know you have a direct reply/question.

“User A thanked/liked your post in thread B” - you don’t have to click to see the rating, but at least you know someone’s read (and appreciated) your post.

It’s all in one place. I find that (perhaps because I’m used to it) much more easy to keep track of multiple threads, rather than swapping between emails (which often get lost) and browser. Others might find the same, or if not, turn off the feature.
By guineafowl21
whatknot wrote:Well there you go, only joined three years ago ;-)

Many thanks for that

I also notice in the same board preferences is a tick box for "bubble notifications" is that what the OP wanted ???

That’s only for PMs.
By nev
Bubble notification only for PMs (if enabled).
email notifications only for threads you are following.

Any and all 'software' adjustments are available in your user control panel and the mods have no access to anything else apart from them.

Thats just the way it is I'm afraid.

p.s. simply adding the email notification address - charley@ukworkshop.co.uk - to your whitelist will prevent it from ending in the spam box.
By whatknot
Err no, after the advice it was there I went to :-

My account (name)

Control Panel

Board preferences

On the left "Edit posting defaults"

4th option "Notify me upon replies by default"

I tested it after by going to a post I had not replied to previously and the default was already selected "Notify me when a reply is posted"