What to make with your kids now schools are shut.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raymond UK":2p5geykg said:
My oldest son is in his first year of comprehensive school (Y7)

We have been given plenty of work from both schools for both kids to get on with whilst schools are shut but the DT (design/technology) teacher has asked my oldest son to make some projects whilst off school.

Now, making stuff is easy. Thinking of what to make proves a bit harder.

Last term we made a castle with working drawbridge and drop gate which is still on display at school.

What’s worth making without boring a 12 year old after 6 minutes? :roll:
A birdbox (but be quick!) Ideally with a camera fitted.
Or maybe a windpowered garden whirlygig - wind powered automaton.
Or maybe a marble run - Matthias Wandel on YT did some good stuff.
Cheers W2S

This is a great time to own a scroll saw even the cheapest of the cheap.
Get the young ones to draw or paint a picture stick it to any off cut of what ever you have and cut out a jigsaw.
Whirlygigs are also a simple project that they will enjoy, they can be involved in the design and making and will use up all those off cuts from under the bench.

Woody2Shoes":2p8vf6kr said:
A birdbox (but be quick!) Ideally with a camera fitted.
Or maybe a windpowered garden whirlygig - wind powered automaton.
Or maybe a marble run - Matthias Wandel on YT did some good stuff.
Cheers W2S

The garden whirligig will be next week.

The bird box is a good idea for my 8 year old today. He doesn't have DT lessons but now will. :mrgreen:

Get them to make a trebuchet and then they can help deliver groceries to the neighbourhood

Well the helicopter went reasonable well. It all works. I can't upload a picture as Postage is down for maintenance for the last couple of days.

Made a small bird house with my 8 year old. Not sure how many birds it will attract as he's painted it bright blue.

We'll be starting DT project number two this afternoon... By the sounds of it they're not going back to school until September. I can see some more projects being made.

Totally unseasonal, but this thread reminded me of a weekend from my childhood. My Dad gave my brother, sister, and I wood to make ourselves sledges/sleighs. No idea what inspired the project, as I believe it was not the depths of winter at the time.

However, we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I should perhaps add that 25-30 years later, mine is still in his loft having never seen action, but these days I would far sooner it didn't snow.

These are great ideas!

So far all mine (8, 9) have had the patience for was a simple rubber-band pistol. Very easy to make, and using "instant" mitre bond glue helped keep the focus.

Any further thoughts on how to get a 3 year old and 4 year old involved?

Bird boxes are good. We've put some wifi cameras in three large boxes in our garden. A pair of tawny owls have set up home in one of them. Two eggs have been laid and we're looking forward to seeing if the hatch. It should be around Easter time.

It's fun to see the comings and goings - mice and other things being delivered by the male during the night.

IMG_3542.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 30
I think a bug house similar to the ones made by colinc posted in another thread would be simple enough for a youngster who's happy to drill and saw.
(hope you don't mind me sharing it Colin)

26202D17-5C65-4C31-9C5A-7075EAB3DA50.jpeg

Attachments

• 26202D17-5C65-4C31-9C5A-7075EAB3DA50.jpeg
    26202D17-5C65-4C31-9C5A-7075EAB3DA50.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 50
nev":2o5gym1v said:
I think a bug house similar to the ones made by colinc posted in another thread would be simple enough for a youngster who's happy to drill and saw.
(hope you don't mind me sharing it Colin)

Not a bit Nev.

Have made four so far as friends want them. I have decided to turn lockdown woodworking into a bit of a fundraiser as my wife was planning various charity events to raise money for the MND Association that have been cancelled for the moment.

Getting the kids making and selling things for charity seems a win-win situation.

A friend wanted to make one so I did a sketch and a photos that I will share.

Colin

colinc":2w9yxg9w said:
A friend wanted to make one so I did a sketch and a photos that I will share.

The individual tubes are actually hollow centres plant and shrub stems. I read that bamboo is not porous enough. The drilled holes in the branch parts are mainly 8mm which I read was optimal, with a few of lesser and greater diameters.

I did think I might make a few in kit form for people’s kids to screw together themselves as not everyone has even the few tools needed.

Attachments

• 77C68138-DF0C-4E66-BFD8-3F8C5AC52177.jpeg
    77C68138-DF0C-4E66-BFD8-3F8C5AC52177.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 23
  • 8F6DB7ED-DBE3-4005-877C-80B59ACEA152.jpeg
    8F6DB7ED-DBE3-4005-877C-80B59ACEA152.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3A8D36C2-BE29-47F8-9451-C647B8E07F7C.jpeg
    3A8D36C2-BE29-47F8-9451-C647B8E07F7C.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 4246B451-B0B3-459A-996E-F218B9481C04.jpeg
    4246B451-B0B3-459A-996E-F218B9481C04.jpeg