Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By sammy.se
Doug B wrote:If I was starting again down the cordless route I’d give https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com some serious consideration.
The batteries are made by Metabo but fit several makes, I’ve been using the Metabo chopsaw with a couple of their 8amp hour batteries for a year now & they really are impressive but the real bonus is it allowed me to buy the Mafell cordless track saw as a bare unit allowing a big saving.
If it wasn’t for the fact that my present site tools are all fairly recent ( last 2-3 years) Makita 5amp hour gear I’d be looking into the different brands the battery platform supports.

Personally having used most brands over the years I’ve never found much difference in like for like tools they’ve all had their faults, most folks have their preferences but it’s usually boils down the brand they’ve bought into.

Very interesting.

I'd be really surprised indeed if any of the mass manufacturers (Makita, Dewalt, Milwakee, even Festool) would opt into this... Having a proprietary battery platform is a way they 'lock in' customers and sell more tools. I do like the idea of those battery converters I've seen more of lately, but I do wonder if subtle differences in the tool technology will create problems down the road in the tools.
By Nelsun
No particular recommendations for a brand as they each cater for (and are sometimes better for) different tasks e.g. cordless routers are a new hot tool (Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt all have something amongst others) but not all manufacturers have one in their line-up *cough* Festool.

Be wairy of recommendations along the lines of "I borrowed a circ saw made by BrandX and it was way more/less powerful than my BrandY one". Some companies have multiple types of the same style of tool and, typically, they have smaller or more budget orientated models as well as their top of the range offerings. I have a boat load of Makita LXT stuff myself and researching what I'm after involves some work i.e. sifting through specs of 10 circular saws, 9 impact drivers, 8 recips, 7 angle grinders, 6 drill/drivers, 5... mitre... saws... You get the idea ;) They do cheap drills and they do expensive drills and you get what you pay for being the point here and that's the same for the bigger brands.

Whatever platform you go for be sure and keep an eye on whether a supplied charger is their fast or slow version; some will lump a slow charger if it's bundled with a tool. Slow chargers are the Devils work!
By TheUnicorn
I think it is all down to the tools you need, I'd make a list of what you need now and may need in the near future, total up in terms of quality and price and go from there. I've had a Bosch combi drill for years and can't fault it. I've gone for a few dewalt brush less tools in the last few months and am very happy with those too, though I know a lot of people say dewalt has gone down hill over recent years. I think as long as you go for a good quality range you can't go that far wrong.