Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By AES
I'm no expert but we've not had much "luck" with cafetiere. I THINK it's because the water (usually not really boiling/steam) is "only" pushed through the ground beans with hand pressure.

But as a stand by we have one of these:

kaffee.jpg
kaffee.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 332 times

They're not bad, and very cheap here (less than a tenner) and they only seem to need a rinse out now and then. BUT they only make 1 cup at a time, and compared with the automatic machine (Jura E800) they take yonks to come to the boil (and won't work until the water does boil). But for us anyway, work they do.

Not seen the above-linked aeropress before.
By Trainee neophyte
Up until we were given the aeropress, we used a cafetiere, but there is a noticeable difference in flavour. You put the coffee in, pour the water, stir for 10 seconds, and then push the coffee through the filter, which takes another 15-20 seconds. Quite a bit of pressure, too. So no, it's not just a cafetiere. I hate gadgets, too - it's unusual for me to take to something as plastic and obviously not traditional.

My favourite coffee is the standard coffee you get in Spain - cafe con leche, which is ubiquitous in all the cafés and restaurants. I have no idea what brand/blend it is, but I do remember really enjoying it. It has been 20 years since I was there last, so it may be a trick of hazy memory.
By eezageeza
woodbloke66 wrote: Once the bag is opened, we also keep our beans in the freezer - Rob

Interesting - not heard of that before. How long can you freeze it for? Do you defrost it in daily batches? I assume you have to defrost it and can't grind frozen beans???
By ColeyS1
Trainee neophyte wrote:Up until we were given the aeropress, we used a cafetiere, but there is a noticeable difference in flavour. You put the coffee in, pour the water, stir for 10 seconds, and then push the coffee through the filter, which takes another 15-20 seconds. Quite a bit of pressure, too. So no, it's not just a cafetiere. I hate gadgets, too - it's unusual for me to take to something as plastic and obviously not traditional.

My favourite coffee is the standard coffee you get in Spain - cafe con leche, which is ubiquitous in all the cafés and restaurants. I have no idea what brand/blend it is, but I do remember really enjoying it. It has been 20 years since I was there last, so it may be a trick of hazy memory.
I saw your post earlier today and have added one to my wishlist. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
By novocaine
AEROPRESS, nothing else even compares on cost to quality.

I've had one for a good 5 years now, the first one was destroyed by my partner when she left it on the back of the cooker. I order another straight away. if you want to save the planet (TN) buy a reusable filter.

it is a work of genius, it is so simply that you have to wonder why it hadn't been done before.

is it a cafetiere? no, this is a mistake that everybody makes, it is closer to a drip filter than anything else but with a little bit of pressure (not enough to make espresso but enough to compress the grind somewhat). the real benefit of it? 5 seconds to clean it, no dragging a spoon round the get the last of the grounds out.

it's a slippery slope, you start to get in to recipes, inverted brew methods, grinds, pressures, temperatures etc. it's a mini science experiment every morning and it's great (I have a book of experiments, I felt the need to write it all down)

grinders.
hand grinders are ok.
hario mini mill does a good job for consistent grain size. (costs the same as the below machine grinder though).
ignore blade grinders, always go with a burr.

this is the best budget machine grinder you will find. ok on grain size and consistancy, a few bits of chaf and it will not tolerate stones.

https://www.ukdapper.co.uk/delonghi-kg7 ... pYQAvD_BwE

contrary to popular belief, you do not have to spend the earth to make decent coffee, much like tools, if you are willing to take the time and learn the tricks you can make anything work. think it's MikeG whos signature says to acquire skills not tools, same goes here.

now, of the the coffee shop on site to buy my beans for the week, it's a real independent with an owner who knows what he's doing.
By BigMonka
I agree with novocaine about the Aeropress, it's great. It really comes in to its own for having decent coffee at work as the clean up is so quick and easy.

I've got the same de'longhi grinder that Novocaine recommended and it's good enough for me. A nice thing about it is that by undoing a few screws to take it apart you can adjust it so that it'll do an even finer grind suitable for espresso.
By Jake
Oh do tell, I bought that grinder and gave up on it because it (mine) won't even go down to a proper filter grind, never mind espresso or nearly so (for Aeropress).
By samhay
novocaine wrote:AEROPRESS, nothing else even compares on cost to quality.

...this is the best budget machine grinder you will find. ok on grain size and consistancy, a few bits of chaf and it will not tolerate stones.

I use an aeropress at work. I agree that it makes better coffee than a cafetiere and it is also easier to clean. It does not make espresso though, regardless of the claims. You can not get a decent crema. If you drink anything other than espresso, this may not be much of a problem.

We used to have one of these DeLonghi grinders. I modified it to grind finer. It wasn't up to the task of grinding fine enough for a proper espresso and it is night-and-day difference between this and the Eureka. However, again if you don't drink espresso, it probably doesn't matter as it does make decent coffee.
By samhay
samhay wrote:
novocaine wrote:AEROPRESS, nothing else even compares on cost to quality.

...this is the best budget machine grinder you will find. ok on grain size and consistancy, a few bits of chaf and it will not tolerate stones.

I use an aeropress at work. I agree that it makes better coffee than a cafetiere and it is also easier to clean. It does not make espresso though, regardless of the claims. You can not get a decent crema. If you drink anything other than espresso, this may not be much of a problem.

We used to have one of these DeLonghi grinders. I modified it to grind finer (assume same mod as mentioned above), but it wasn't up to the task of grinding fine enough for a proper espresso and it is night-and-day difference between this and the Eureka. However, again if you don't drink espresso, it probably doesn't matter as it does make decent coffee.
By samhay
eezageeza wrote:
woodbloke66 wrote: Once the bag is opened, we also keep our beans in the freezer - Rob

Interesting - not heard of that before. How long can you freeze it for? Do you defrost it in daily batches? I assume you have to defrost it and can't grind frozen beans???

We used to freeze our coffee. Stopped years ago as I couldn't tell the difference.
From memory you can grind from frozen. The grinder warms things up pretty quickly.
By BigMonka
Jake wrote:Oh do tell, I bought that grinder and gave up on it because it (mine) won't even go down to a proper filter grind, never mind espresso or nearly so (for Aeropress).

It's basically just a case of moving the limits of the courseness dial that's on the side. It's dead easy, although if you go too far then you'll end up grinding the burrs on each other so make the adjustments incrementally would be my advice.
Here's a random video I just found on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eYgXd5ruU
By nabs
look what you've done now Marcros! I have been umming and erring about getting a proper coffee machine to replace my terrible pod machine for over 2 years.

I had managed to get far enough through the many lengthy essays written by coffee aficionados on machines to decide a Gaggia Classic was the model to go for, but then got cold feet due to the cost and the fact I don't really need any more hobbiess to obsess about. Now your post has made me go and buy one anyway!

like you I've bought an older used one - I've ordered a repair kit (o-rings etc) and will let you know if I ever get it back together after it arrives and I attempt a service.

Next step is a grinder - let us know what you get. The coffee-people seem even more nutty about grinders than they are about the actual coffee machines, so good luck!
By Jake
samhay wrote:I use an aeropress at work. I agree that it makes better coffee than a cafetiere and it is also easier to clean. It does not make espresso though, regardless of the claims.

Totally agree - it's much better at producing a long filter-like coffee (after dilution).

Nothing other than an espresso machine can produce espresso if that is your bag for some reason.
By fezman
I think the uk importer is Gaggia Direct. That's where i bought my bean to cup machine.

Their service details are here https://www.gaggiadirect.com/maintenanc ... epair.html - service prices included on there too.

The have branches in Elland, Castleford and Braintree.

They offered me some good advice when i bought my gaggia anima, which resulted in me buying the basic machine not the most expensive.