Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

 Reply
By Garno
#1305884
Just finished making my first ever batch of tomato soup.
Did it in an electric pressure cooker and have to say it beats any tinned soup hands down.

Here is enough for 4 bowls.
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2lb Tomatoes quartered
2 Large carrots chopped
2 Stalks of celery chopped
1 Large onion chopped
6 Garlic cloves rough cut
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
110ml Vegetable stock (1 measuring cup)

METHOD

1, Fry the Tomatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion, and Garlic for 3 minutes whilst continuously stirring.
2, Add the rest of the ingredients.
3, Pressure cook on the soup setting for 15 minutes.
4, Allow to rest for a further 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
5, Undo lid and blend with hand blender or larger electric blender until contents nice and smooth.
6, Serve into bowls, add salt and pepper to taste.
7, Serve with some freshly made warm bread rolls and some butter.
8, Enjoy the best tomato soup you have ever tasted.
By Dibs-h
#1305888
Cheers! Sounds nice. I am partial to a nice tomato soup.

Is it suitable for freezing? Asking only as I've never made soup and can see not wanting it for a few days on the trot. :lol:
By Garno
#1305898
Dibs-h wrote:Cheers! Sounds nice. I am partial to a nice tomato soup.

Is it suitable for freezing? Asking only as I've never made soup and can see not wanting it for a few days on the trot. :lol:


That's the beauty with this recipe, great for freezing.

We have just put some in the freezer :D
User avatar
By Benchwayze
#1305906
Dibs-h wrote:Cheers! Sounds nice. I am partial to a nice tomato soup.

Is it suitable for freezing? Asking only as I've never made soup and can see not wanting it for a few days on the trot. :lol:


What do you mean by 'on the trot' Dibs? :lol:

John :D
By Rorschach
#1305950
Sounds good.

In the winter I make a lot of soup for my partner to take to work. Every weekend I make a different soup of at least 8 portions. I start just before the weather gets cold. They all go in the freezer and she can have a different flavour of soup every day of the week if she wants.
User avatar
By Trainee neophyte
#1305959
Dibs-h wrote:I know it's a tomato soup thread but that shouldn't put anyone posting up their recipes for other soups. :wink: :D


You seem to have a bit of a food fixation a the moment - that usually happens to me when I am dieting.

?
By Garno
#1305962
Rorschach wrote:Sounds good.

In the winter I make a lot of soup for my partner to take to work. Every weekend I make a different soup of at least 8 portions. I start just before the weather gets cold. They all go in the freezer and she can have a different flavour of soup every day of the week if she wants.


I will be looking for more recipes for soups cooked in a pressure cooker.
I know I started the thread and will be a little biased, but the tomato soup really is very tasty, I will go as far as saying it is the best one I've ever had. :D
By Dibs-h
#1305963
Trainee neophyte wrote:
You seem to have a bit of a food fixation a the moment - that usually happens to me when I am dieting.

?


Lol..it might come across that way but I can assure you it's not. Maybe just coincidence. =P~ :lol: :lol:
By Garno
#1305965
Dibs-h wrote:I know it's a tomato soup thread but that shouldn't put anyone posting up their recipes for other soups. :wink: :D


I know what you mean :D :D :D

Fully agree, I would love to see a few more tried and tested recipes for soup.


.
By Dibs-h
#1305967
Garno wrote:I will go as far as saying it is the best one I've ever had. :D


Defintely a reason to try it out. :wink:

Will report back how I get on.
By Rorschach
#1305968
Garno wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Sounds good.

In the winter I make a lot of soup for my partner to take to work. Every weekend I make a different soup of at least 8 portions. I start just before the weather gets cold. They all go in the freezer and she can have a different flavour of soup every day of the week if she wants.


I will be looking for more recipes for soups cooked in a pressure cooker.
I know I started the thread and will be a little biased, but the tomato soup really is very tasty, I will go as far as saying it is the best one I've ever had. :D


I tend to make soups based on whatever ingredients are on offer/reduced or just in season and cheap.
So most weeks that involves a selection of vegetables and a carbohydrate component such as lentils, potatoes, rice or beans.
If it's potatoes, lentils or rice then I will blend the soup smooth, if it's beans it will stay as a broth type soup. Sometimes I will keep it as a slightly thinner broth type soup and the missus will add some noodles for bulk.
I add various spices to get different flavours, curried, chinese, mexican etc.

Some favourites:

Carrot and Squash (good after halloween when pumpkins are cheap)
Sweetcorn soup
Pea and Ham (I will boil a gammon for stock/meat and use frozen peas not dried for a lovely colour and fresh flavour)
Chunky tomato, bean and chorizo
Chicken and mushroom noodle soup
Curried lentil and veg
By treeturner123
#1306093
Rorschach

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Also Curried Parsnip one of my favorites

Phil