Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Rorschach
treeturner123 wrote:Rorschach

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Also Curried Parsnip one of my favorites

Phil

Nothing wrong with that if it's your preference but I know some people who don't like traditional ham and pea but do enjoy it made with "fresh" peas.

thanks for mentioning parnsip, Parnsip and apple is a family favourite.
By treeturner123
Frog?!?!?!
By Garno

Sorry to disagree about Ham & Pea, but I like it better with dried yellow peas soaked overnight and then the water from that incorporated into the ham stock (in which the ham was boiled with a couple of Bay leaves)

Phil

I've always made like that as well but I use a ham hock soaked overnight, then put on a slow simmer until the ham falls off the bone and stir in.

Mind you that was in the days when a ham hock cost mere pence :D :D :D
By Garno
treeturner123 wrote:Frog?!?!?!

Nah your thinking of toad in the hole :D :D :D
By Dibs-h
Made some yesterday - exactly as Garno's recipe stated. With 1 minor exceptions: a regular pressure cooker.

Added about 100ml of extra water as the instruction for the pressure cooker stated that it needs "extra" water\fluid in order to effectively build up the pressure. After putting everything in, closed the lid, set it on the higher setting, turned up the heat to full, when it started whistling, turned the heat right down till the whistling was almost negligible and left it on for about 15mins.

Released the pressure and used an electric hand blender to blend it all.

Mrs & daughter ate a whole bowl each (and Mrs had another one for lunch today). She liked it so much she said "now that you've mastered making soup - I fancy some tomato and pepper soup at work for lunch on Monday. So can you make some on Sunday evening." :shock: :lol: :lol:

I had some too - spot on!

Freezing\thawing - won't last more than 24hrs in our house, so freezing ain't gonna happen. :lol:
By sunnybob
I'm a bit late to this one, having been on my hols 8)
But i have to call "point of order" on the first post.
Tomato soup? yes.
Tomato soup with carrot, celery, garlic and onion? C'mon, thats vegetable soup that is :roll:

pea and ham.... mmmmmmmm.
But does anyone have an OLD recipe (like 150 years old). My Nan , who was in service in a large house at the time General Custer was still calling those apaches ignorant savages, made that stuff like I have never tasted in over 50 years. She allegedly told my mum the recipe, but mum never once managed to get close, so there was obviously a secret ingredient that nan kept to herself.
You could stand a spoon up in it and it would take ages to fall sideways.
This was a London house, so no northern rubbish please :D :D :D =D> =D>
By Garno
sunnybob wrote:I'm a bit late to this one, having been on my hols 8)
But i have to call "point of order" on the first post.
Tomato soup? yes.
Tomato soup with carrot, celery, garlic and onion? C'mon, thats vegetable soup that is :roll:

pea and ham.... mmmmmmmm.
But does anyone have an OLD recipe (like 150 years old). My Nan , who was in service in a large house at the time General Custer was still calling those apaches ignorant savages, made that stuff like I have never tasted in over 50 years. She allegedly told my mum the recipe, but mum never once managed to get close, so there was obviously a secret ingredient that nan kept to herself.
You could stand a spoon up in it and it would take ages to fall sideways.
This was a London house, so no northern rubbish please :D :D :D =D> =D>

Seriously Bob give the tomato (veggie) soup a try and I will wager you say that it tastes like a great Tomato soup.

The secret ingredient in the pea and ham soup is definitely using a ham hock. (or it is in this house :D )
By Garno
Dibs-h wrote:Made some yesterday - exactly as Garno's recipe stated. With 1 minor exceptions: a regular pressure cooker.

Added about 100ml of extra water as the instruction for the pressure cooker stated that it needs "extra" water\fluid in order to effectively build up the pressure. After putting everything in, closed the lid, set it on the higher setting, turned up the heat to full, when it started whistling, turned the heat right down till the whistling was almost negligible and left it on for about 15mins.

Released the pressure and used an electric hand blender to blend it all.

Mrs & daughter ate a whole bowl each (and Mrs had another one for lunch today). She liked it so much she said "now that you've mastered making soup - I fancy some tomato and pepper soup at work for lunch on Monday. So can you make some on Sunday evening." :shock: :lol: :lol:

I had some too - spot on!

Freezing\thawing - won't last more than 24hrs in our house, so freezing ain't gonna happen. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it's a big favourite in our household :D
By Suffolkboy

Phil

With you all the way on that one.

For me fresh peas are best in pea and mint soup.