Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Trainee neophyte
bourbon wrote:Having been to hack green secret nuclear bunker (sign posted off the M6) I think my instinct would be to go towards the blast. Don't think I would want to survive the initial blast, then die of radiation poisoning.

Many people in Hiroshima/Nagasaki who survived the blast, also survived the radiation. A massive dose will kill you, but anything other than immediately fatal <may> be survivable. Long term cancer rates will go up, but not to the extent that everyone will die.

Did you know that the Cuban missile crisis was created because NATO put nuclear tipped missiles in Turkey, and Russia was merely evening up the MAD playing field? Most people assume it was all the evil Russians, but it was actually the evil NATO. Worth considering, now NATO is back to surrounding Russia with intermediate range nuclear missiles. Good job they never learn, isn't it?
By Benchwayze
There's lots to learn about NATO that certain people don't want us to know!
By doctor Bob
I have a shipping container with my gardening machinery in there. Would it be any good for protection against radiation. I'm in the country 30 miles from central london, nothing important nearby and out in the country?
By Garno
doctor Bob wrote:I have a shipping container with my gardening machinery in there. Would it be any good for protection against radiation. I'm in the country 30 miles from central london, nothing important nearby and out in the country?

Not sure you would survive the dreaded S.C.S.M's they have, These Shipping Container Seeking Missiles are sent moments after the main nuclear bombs land :D
By doctor Bob
Garno wrote:
doctor Bob wrote:I have a shipping container with my gardening machinery in there. Would it be any good for protection against radiation. I'm in the country 30 miles from central london, nothing important nearby and out in the country?

Not sure you would survive the dreaded S.C.S.M's they have, These Shipping Container Seeking Missiles are sent moments after the main nuclear bombs land :D

I will make an inflatable decoy shipping container as a decoy. Thanks for the info.
How long will I need to lock myself in for?
By RogerS
There is always a happy ending though !

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ear-bunker

Also, at the old BBC Training Centre at Wood Norton near Evesham, in the late 60's - early '70's they carried out a major civil works to build a nuclear bunker to act as the broadcasting hub to the nation in the event of a nuclear war. The rumours regarding the size and scale of the project were legendary. Tales of 'the tallest tower crane in the UK and the jib only just cleared the top of the shaft' to 'lorries carting away spoil 24/7 for years'. No-one was allowed inside.

Then in the late '70's, it was decided that the studios inside could be used for training purposes. At last...we could go inside ! To our great disappointment it was tiny and only two floors deep. Not only that, the muppets had forgotten to put a lock on the inside of the main doors so anyone could go in once people were inside. And to compound their errors, they'd connected the aircon in reverse and so instead of maintaining a filtered high pressure inside, it just sucked in all the radioactive air from outside. #-o
By Trainee neophyte

Put your details in here and find out: https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Even better, put in the details of your mother-in-law, or whoever you a less than fond of.

Pick a bomb,and see what's left. (hammer)

For example:
Effects radii for 2.3 megaton airburst* (smallest to largest): ▼
Fireball radius: 1.35 km (5.71 km²)
Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; relevance to lived effects depends on height of detonation. If it touches the ground, the amount of radioactive fallout is significantly increased. Minimum burst height for negligible fallout: 1.21 km.
Air blast radius (5 psi): 9.28 km (271 km²)
At 5 psi overpressure, most residential buildings collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread. Often used as a standard benchmark for medium damage in cities. Optimal height of burst to maximize this effect is 4.12 km.
Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 17.5 km (963 km²)
Third degree burns extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation. 100% probability for 3rd degree burns at this yield is 11.9 cal/cm2.
Air blast radius (1 psi): 26.1 km (2,140 km²)
At a around 1 psi overpressure, glass windows can be expected to break. This can cause many injuries in a surrounding population who comes to a window after seeing the flash of a nuclear explosion (which travels faster than the pressure wave). Often used as a standard benchmark for light damage in cities. Optimal height of burst to maximize this effect is 6.17 km.
*Detonation altitude: 4,120 m. (Chosen to maximize the 5 psi range.)

Aren't there more fun things to talk about?
By Trainee neophyte
doctor Bob wrote:How long will I need to lock myself in for?

Until the nice man from the ministry says it's is safe for you to come out. Do not go making decisions on your own - we have extremely competent civil servants whose job it is, is to ensure the safety and comfort of the general public, or ordinary people, as the BBC likes to patronise them.

Remember, the nice man from the government is here to help. =D>