Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Benchwayze
lurker wrote:Until quite recently I thought the Cuban missile crisis was a bit over hyped.

Apparently the only reason all hell wasn't unleashed was a Russian submarine officer refused to obey orders.
same programme mentioned waddington bombers minutes away from take off.

At the time I had recently married (just weeks before) and was stationed in Faslane in a submarine support ship, HMS Maidstone. It frightened the stuff out of me, as we readied the ship. Not at all over hyped. :shock:

John :cry:
By Bm101
Jokey posts aside, (for a minute) It's fascinating to read what start out as somewhat off the cuff threads on here. I'm old enough to remember When the wind blows and government leaflets that read along the lines of Hide under the stairs with a bottle of water a tin of heinz and take a biiiig breath when you hear the bangey noise type advice. Same as on the aeroplane and the crash sheet. Look at the faces in the pictures and they are all blank expressions.
'Calmly fit your air mask before reaching over and helping minors.'
STFU. One strike, possibly we could recover. Multiple strikes, I'd hope to go early.

Here's one that might have slipped under your radar. The Russian that stopped WW3. Sounds like a Julia Donaldson Kids Story Title like The Snail And the Whale till you hear what happened. :-s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

And here's a cheery website: :D
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

You can look at where you you live and how quickly you would die. Marvelous. 8) Enjoy.
I just blew up Croydon. I don't live there but it seemed a good test subject. Next step: Harlow.
By Trevanion
I stole all the lead off the local church roof and used it to line out my basement to protect me from both radioactive fallout and demonic possessions.

Anybody watched "Chernobyl"? :) I think if we knew really how many times we've actually come so close to destroying the entire planet it would be a serious eye-opener, we only know what the governments want us to know.
By Trainee neophyte
lurker wrote:
Bm101 wrote:I too once built a kind of secret cellar for my young wife. Well, strictly speaking she wasn't my young wife, not as such. But it's perfectly possible to surmise that she was someone's young wife I suppose.
Personally I didn't use air bricks but thermalites and 3:1 to cover the vents. You'd be surprised how far certain smells can travel when left to ... linger... Watch that pointing everyone!
Anyway, that's all in the past and I'm quite better now.
We all are. We have a certificate.

There is always one who has to be difficult.
Why could you not lay a new patio like everyone else??

The simplest option is to either keep pigs, or know someone who keeps pigs. Not that I would know about that sort of thing. My preparation is to live a very long way from anything important. Oh, and tin foil. Lots and lots of tin foil.
By Eric The Viking
Two weeks or so before we got married, I worked on the final mix of "Threads"* for two days (2x 12 hour shifts). I had nightmares about it on our honeymoon and occasionally for some months afterwards, the images were so strong.

In one break, I asked the producer who he thought might actually start a nuclear war. He said, "The French: everybody else is too sensible to do it deliberately"**.

And thus it has proved so far.

Phew.

E.

**I paraphrase, but it was a long time ago.

*Nuclear War comes to Sheffield. Google it.
By Sheffield Tony
I don't need to google Threads, some of my schoolmates were extras in it. Barry Hines went to the school I did. I think his son was one of our year.

You may laugh at those advice leaflets, but I have met a man who survived the bombing of Nagasaki by hiding under his desk. Protection from the building, if not the radiation
By Garno
Eric The Viking wrote:Two weeks or so before we got married, I worked on the final mix of "Threads"* for two days (2x 12 hour shifts). I had nightmares about it on our honeymoon and occasionally for some months afterwards, the images were so strong.

In one break, I asked the producer who he thought might actually start a nuclear war. He said, "The French: everybody else is too sensible to do it deliberately"**.

And thus it has proved so far.

Phew.

E.

**I paraphrase, but it was a long time ago.

*Nuclear War comes to Sheffield. Google it.

I still remember "Threads", based in Sheffield if I recall correctly.
Scared us all.
By fezman
In the 70's I remember all the stuff about getting a couple of doors and creating a shelter in your house. My parents improvised on the advice on the TV and planned to move the sofa about 4 feet from the wall, then lean a couple of doors behind that to form a shelter a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg . We even practised it once!! Me (aged 6-10) i was out playing football and would have only been upset if it meant I had to "come in" and curtail my footballing.

All this given we had a WW2 underground shelter at the bottom of the garden that would have been much more suited!! My dad and I later demolished this in the mid 80's - the roof was reinforced concrete - with an old iron or steel bedstead!! It was an absolute PITA to bring down too.

Anyhoo, it wouldn't have made much difference, as we lived close to Sheffield, a major industrial city at the time - expected to be targetted, and either the fireball or air blast or 3rd degree burns would have meant we would be dead in about 3 minutes. Not to mention the fallout that if we had survived the blast, we would be in a world of pain trying to survive.
By Garno
They reckoned if you could hear the sirens giving the four minute warning then you would probably be dead in under four minutes. The home bunkers would of done nothing to save you.
They were genuinely worrying times.
By phil.p
I was born half a mile from a nerve gas factory. No one took the slightest bit of notice - my grandfather worked there and reckoned the only reason it was under the official secrets act was so people didn't realise how much money was wasted there. :D
By bourbon
Having been to hack green secret nuclear bunker (sign posted off the M6) I think my instinct would be to go towards the blast. Don't think I would want to survive the initial blast, then die of radiation poisoning.