Model Railway Baseboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm building a model railway layout for my son. It will sit on a baseboard that is like a table. I've made the H leg assemblies, but now I need 'external lock washers' for the angle brackets. Where can I buy these? We might need to take it apart, so I don't want to use glue or thread locking fluid.

Thank you

Matty

Thanks Stuart Paul. My friend has almost finished building his layout and it rattles when the locos pass over the top. I'm hoping that these washers will reduce noise and vibration.

I started working on machinery somewhere around 1961, and made most of my living with it, but I have just learnt what "external lock washers" are :shock: :shock:

I expect the americans are to blame. When it comes to language mangling they usually are. Maybe they couldnt spell "star washer" ? :roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

MattyT":19mogtkb said:
......We might need to take it apart, so I don't want to use glue or thread locking fluid. .....

Just an aside, Matty. Loctite or similar doesn't stop you taking anything apart. It generally stops the nut and bolt working themselves apart, but doesn't resist the torque that a spanner exerts.

+1 for the above comment. Thread locking compound is usually needed where there is some vibration expected - unlikely on a model railway baseboard I would have thought.

And there are at least 2 different "grades" of Loctite (and most similar products) - "soft" where you will expect to have to remove the nut and bolt now and then, and "hard" where there is no expectation of needing dis-assembly.

Even with the above "hard"/"permanent" (names vary according to product brand name) IF you can get to the threads, then application of either acetone or paint thinners (or even hot water renewed often and left to soak a while - or even a blowtorch - carefully!) will usually allow nut removal with a decent spanner, though it may be a bit of a sweat.

But yeah, "star washers"! And your local DIY place should be able to supply nylon insert "lock nuts" too. Another alternative.

I know nothing about model railways but a friend who does was asking me about sources of Sundela board - the paper fibre based boards that have been used mainly as notice boards since Noah designed the Ark. Apparently the sound deadening properties are ideal for model railways as the sound of wheels on track do not spread across the whole baseboard as it is acoustically "dead"

Myfordman":3io3wvoc said:
I know nothing about model railways but a friend who does was asking me about sources of Sundela board - the paper fibre based boards that have been used mainly as notice boards since Noah designed the Ark. Apparently the sound deadening properties are ideal for model railways as the sound of wheels on track do not spread across the whole baseboard as it is acoustically "dead"

Have you seen the price of Sundela board!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes - that was the nub of my friends question.
I did find a place doing an alternative soft insulation board much cheaper but he is now going down the "track" of an MDF baseboard and a cork strip under the rails which apparently quite cheap and has a similar acoustic effect.

9mm 1200 x 600mm Sundeala board can be purchased from the Cheltenham Model Centre for £60 for 6 sheets. it is stocked specifically for model railway layouts.
The big advantage is that it is dense enough to hold track pins but they can also be pulled out fairly easily for layout mods.
Brian

Do you use a baseboard at all ? One method of constructon is to have a frame holding boards set vertically, cut to the shape of the cross-section of your landscape at intervals, with just a strip across them to make the track bed. Less of a drum for noise.

Back