Workbench Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm nearly finished with the project but thought I'd share what I've done so far.

I wanted it to be a bench easy on the wallet and to fit into my garage at home. The base is made from glue laminated bearers that come in with timber deliveries and one piece of 9" x 2 1/2" softwood for the back rail. Joinery is wedged mortice and tenon with the back rail draw-bored too. I removed the rail from the front so I can roll my tool chest underneath. With the back rail so stout and framing members all very heavy it all feels very solid, for the moment. I painted the base black as the quality of the timber is very poor and not good to look at.

The top is made up from offcuts of waste fire door blanks that we had left over. These aren't chipboard core but solid wood. https://www.jewson.co.uk/timber/shee...1200-x-2440mm/ This makes an 88mm thick "slab" that is mortice and tenoned to the legs and reinforced with glue and screws along the top rail of the leg frames and into the shoulders of the tennons. I put a trim around the fire door blanks, making use of some beech and sapele. This was then glued, screwed and pluged to the balnks.

I then found the cheapest beech worktop on ebay which I simply glued into place. It's almost like an oversized version of the the plywood flooring with a top wear layer of hardwood, that's where I got my inspiration anyway. https://www.iwood.co.uk/engineered-f.../oak-european/ I know I'm pusing my luck with the construction method but this has been a slow, slow (months and months of 15mins here, 30 mins there) process and there have been no issues yet.

Both of the vices are ebay, one Record 52 QR at the end and a big Woden QR on the front. The Woden is their version of the Record 53, it has a really big capacity. Hope to have the thing home soon. I can then start setting up my home tool chest.

WB1.jpg

WB2.jpg

WB3.jpg

Attachments

• WB1.jpg
    WB1.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 1,143
  • WB2.jpg
    WB2.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • WB3.jpg
    WB3.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 1,142
sundaytrucker":27cu5y0x said:
Very nice and it has definitely convinced me to paint the legs of my in (very slow) progress bench.
I painted the legs on mine (even though it is hardwood throughout) with milk Paint and then wax. Don't regret it, my build thread is on here somewhere...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I remember your Hayward (?) bench build and it was one of two other influences on wanting to paint my base. I painted the base of my saw bench over the weekend to get an idea of how my workbench will look.

Back