Power tools tidy tray-thingy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Was getting bit P'd off with power tools getting tangled...and as you know un tangling them with one arm is :evil:
So got what brain cells left to good use this morning.
As usual there'll prob be ver.1 , 2....for now.
As you know any blatant tips I could use, as my brain gives me blinkers and most of the time cant see the wood for the trees.. :oops:
heres the storage..sorry not good #-o
ERlnL1Z.jpg

So I layed a few power tools on the bench.
cp7EdBF.jpg

and come with ver1.
eK0q1bo.jpg

BXdYbTt.jpg

Ok theres plenty ways to skin a cat, but I came up with ver.2
7LDIUg1.jpg

Hope this can be understood lol.
I'll get wood to start on Monday.
Please be free to comment, its the only way i'll learn or notice better ways etc. =D>
TBC
Bri

Looks like a good idea. You've added the cable tidy bit on the back like an extra box.

Wouldn't five strips (around 270mm) that go all the way be simpler? A strip across the back and then some partition pieces between the tool and cable section?

You don't even need a 'wall' between the tool and the cable - may a couple of tall dowels instead of a little wall.

Not sure if I've made any sense!!

Best wishes

Martin

Good for you. Great idea.

I must admit, untidy tools drove me bonkers so I now I keep pretty much everything in cases. Given that I have inexplicably got 3 jigsaws, 4 routers, about 6 drills, demolition drill, 2 impact drivers, chasers, multi tool, Dremel, two or three angle grinders, chain morticer, umpteen circular saws, domino, track saw and god knows what else, what I really need is a dedicated tool shed! It sounds crazy and it is! But all this stuff gets used at some point.

Stanleymonkey":3jbpeqex said:
Looks like a good idea. You've added the cable tidy bit on the back like an extra box.

Wouldn't five strips (around 270mm) that go all the way be simpler? A strip across the back and then some partition pieces between the tool and cable section?

You don't even need a 'wall' between the tool and the cable - may a couple of tall dowels instead of a little wall.

Not sure if I've made any sense!!

Best wishes

Martin

Thanks Martin.
Could you rough draw what your meaning..sorry my brain isn't taking it in lol.
At least I fathom out my first mistake, I put the lengths off the main box partitions as 140mm, should be 300mm :oops:
and the lead/plugs length is 140mm.
Off to get wood later.
Enjoying my freedom again lol. a simple cold lasted 3 weeks and few visits to the hossy...but as I always it is what it is! rough and the smooth :lol: my immune system is shot.
rwkOLxx.jpg

Bri

DSC01650.JPG
Brian

I didn't explain the dowel very well.

You're quite handy with your drilling - I've seen your paint brush stands.

I thought a dowel (or two) might be easier to drop in as a divider between the cords and the tools.

I've sketched that end of the tray with one dowel in each channel.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea - it's just AN idea!!

Good luck

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 928
Stanleymonkey":217tsweh said:
Brian

I didn't explain the dowel very well.

You're quite handy with your drilling - I've seen your paint brush stands.

I thought a dowel (or two) might be easier to drop in as a divider between the cords and the tools.

I've sketched that end of the tray with one dowel in each channel.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea - it's just AN idea!!

Good luck

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! got it Martin =D> =D> =D> =D>
So saving on wood, and ive already got dowel.
At the end of the day it doeasnt need fancy joints or expensive wood tbh, but the same time do my best.
Reet! as they say up our neck of the woods, ill adjust things on my drawings to meause up with your idea.
TBH I quite like the idea. =D>
TBC.
Thanks again Martin, really appreciate all your help.
Bri

maybe like this Martin :D
3Chs3kg.jpg

Still looking at what base I have......I've got thin board enough to hold the 4 tools.
And ill just glue the dowel(s) in place, if two is needed.
Off I go to pick up wood.
So hopefully will get pics of the build etc when I get back.
TBC
Bri

Looks like a good plan, could there be a multi plug fitted into the back so you could have some / all the tools ready to go?

Thanks lads,
I forgot how utter PITA to put it together with only one hand..but got there lol #-o
prepped the wood, im chuffed for the jointer and table saw.
Make my life 99% better :lol:
so....here so far is where I got.
Bottom and the dowel(s) next.
TBH don't think I need the dowels :!: :!: i'll get a pic on the bench tomorrow n we can see.
My crappy craftmanship in all its glory! wart and all.
Lzjbvfc.jpg

2pIfGff.jpg

CL9P4I4.jpg

I'm able to slide it out a bit and can get to any tool.
Catch you the morn...……………. =D>
Bri

Morning All,
put the board on the bottom,round over with trim router.
Then sanded and will be sealing it eventually.
I can slide it out, get the tool I need and slide it back.
Didn't need dowels, bit maybe some day.
PxNT1e9.jpg

s6wrFlG.jpg

Thank you for viwing and keeping me on the straight and narrow :lol: =D> =D>
Bri

Nice one Bri.
Saw an issue, planned a solution, executed and simplified it and adapted it to work. Problem solved. Job done! =D>
Might 'just' be a box for your tools but it's more than that. It means that when you need a tool it's there. You use it because its it's easy to use it. Then you put it away because it's easy to put it away. So your space stays tidy and safer. And you feel more efficient so you probably are becoming more efficient in a practical sense.
When all the little bits start accumulating to make life work better with less effort things improve exponentially.
Don't get me wrong . I'm still (sometimes) the world's worst. :oops: But when i do take the time to sort the shed I tend feel a lot better about what I'm doing in the shed. It creeps up on me again, then I have another blitz, but each time it gets a little better overall. I'm never going to reach Toyota levels of efficiency lol but every little helps.

Good work bud,
Cheers,
Chris

Well done Bri.

I really like that. It's unfussy, robust, workshop storage. There is no purpose having workshop storage looking like furniture, unless you are a pro and have customers into your 'shop. I'll shortly be rebuilding all my storage in my workshop, and it will be unfinished pine and ply. It's a working area, and I don't want anything in there (other than the edges of my tools) which I am in any way precious about.........so your neat solution gladdens my heart.

Good job MN.

PS- maybe rotate the tools around (or spin the tray around) ready for use, just a thought.

Thank you so much.
Chris your words are riningung in my head...good one pal :lol:
Ifeel a bit more organised and chuffed tbh.
ATB
Bri

D'ya know? Bri did it an'MikeG put it precisemently in words. Workshops are for working in and function defanintootly takes precedent over finish.
I said above I was nickin' Bri's idear, but the more I reflect on it, the better this execution becomes! Just sayin'...
Sam, impressed..

Back