Dust extracting ELU177 Type2 same as for ELU177 Type 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up an ELU 177 for what i hope is a bargain price.. I'd like to keep dust to a minimum... If found a part for ELU 177e Type 4. but its not specified in the list as being compatible with ELU177 type 3. Any ideas?
Given i've not even reached novice stage yet, i havent the fogiest on how type 1, 2, 3, 4 +++ differ.

Across all the variants, MOF177e versions with soft start and electronic variable speed have some differences from the MOF177 fixed speed routers. The armatures are longer to take a disc on the top end of the armature (contains a magnet and works with a hall effect sensor so that the electronics can sense and control the spindle speed). There are electronics up top and a longer top cap to house them.
Type 1 and Type 2 both have the dark grey / light grey plastic mouldings and orange coloured power switch and speed control dial.
Type 2 has a push button spindle lock that may not have been there on the type 1.
I think that type 3 changed the colour to all dark grey instead of two tone and orange controls changed to blue. I think that's when manufacture moved from Switzerland to Italy.
Type 4 I'm not sure but I associate it with Elu's takeover by dewalt. Under the dewalt control they continued to manufacture in Italy in the dark grey plus blue controls colour scheme for a short while before rebranding the machine as a Dewalt DW625 in the current black and yellow colours.
These are the superficial changes that may help you recognise the machines. There were some small real changes as well but not very obvious. If you hunt, you can find exploded parts drawings for most of the variants and try to figure it out.
In my opinion, if you have a type 2 you got one of the best - I believe they were all made in Switzerland and I think they are better than any of the later Italian manufactured units and the Dewalts.
Overall, the machines haven't changed a lot over the years so there's a half decent chance that a dust hood for a type 4 would fit a type 2. The exploded diagrams may help you figure it out.
I have a type 2 and if you set it to minimum speed and switch it on, it spins up without a kick and sits there purring. Reminds me of that advert where someone balances a coin on edge on a sports car engine. Lovely smooth machines.

thank you for such a comprehensive response. I have found some diagrams sadly i've found its the base plate that changes on the Dewalt & type 4 and with it the connection to the hood. I have seen a hood that fits but sadly not for sale.. I'm going to keep searching and keep my fingers crossed. .. the connections for the base plate a . Sadly i dont have the E variant.. no slow start on this instead a kick of torque. Glad to read you view it as one of the better models.

Keep looking - I think it's worth it. Took me a year or more of searching ebay to find my 177e. Bits and pieces do come along.
In the meantime, you just need to wear a dust mask :) Incidentally, these aren't a bad router to use inverted in a router table if you get into that. The plunge lock works on one leg and there's a big long screw depth adjuster on the opposite side, so when the router is hanging upside down, it can be supported on both sides.
In a router table, you can add dust extraction to the fence.

Yes spent a while this morning doing so. Do you have a dust adapter on yours? If so would you be so kind as to take a pic. I get a feeling the dust adapter i see advertised may actually work on type 2.Its hard to tell.
329839-00.jpg

Plus
326599-01.jpg

Yes i'd read that they work well for table.. i just need to get a table but will do without to start..

Sorry, I bought second hand and I don't have a dust hood for mine. I would like one and have thought about making something up. If I did I would try to make it so that fence rods passed through the edges of the hood and locked it in place. I think that would be quickest and easiest way to attach. The 177 is a powerful router, not something I'd often want to use freehand without a fence or a template so having the fence rods in place wouldn't normally be a problem. You could even get some suitable steel and make a pair of super short rods just to locate the hood.

Shame, thanks. I will keep you posted on how i get on.. Re your idea Is there enough clearance around the fence posts to do that?

I have an Elu 177e .... actually, I have two - one is in my router table.

The hand held one I purchased about 20+ years ago, and it came without dust control. In those days it was not a consideration, so I bought the Elu in preference to a Festool 2000.

About 2 years ago I decided to do something about the dust control, and purchased the insert for athe DeWalt 625. They have a sightly different base, but it can be made to fit reasonably well. Importantly, it works ...

2-zpssii4gzfo.jpg

I did the same for a MOF96 as well ...

Elu-177e-MOF97-MOF96.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Across all the variants, MOF177e versions with soft start and electronic variable speed have some differences from the MOF177 fixed speed routers. The armatures are longer to take a disc on the top end of the armature (contains a magnet and works with a hall effect sensor so that the electronics can sense and control the spindle speed). There are electronics up top and a longer top cap to house them.
Type 1 and Type 2 both have the dark grey / light grey plastic mouldings and orange coloured power switch and speed control dial.
Type 2 has a push button spindle lock that may not have been there on the type 1.
I think that type 3 changed the colour to all dark grey instead of two tone and orange controls changed to blue. I think that's when manufacture moved from Switzerland to Italy.
Type 4 I'm not sure but I associate it with Elu's takeover by dewalt. Under the dewalt control they continued to manufacture in Italy in the dark grey plus blue controls colour scheme for a short while before rebranding the machine as a Dewalt DW625 in the current black and yellow colours.
These are the superficial changes that may help you recognise the machines. There were some small real changes as well but not very obvious. If you hunt, you can find exploded parts drawings for most of the variants and try to figure it out.
In my opinion, if you have a type 2 you got one of the best - I believe they were all made in Switzerland and I think they are better than any of the later Italian manufactured units and the Dewalts.
Overall, the machines haven't changed a lot over the years so there's a half decent chance that a dust hood for a type 4 would fit a type 2. The exploded diagrams may help you figure it out.
I have a type 2 and if you set it to minimum speed and switch it on, it spins up without a kick and sits there purring. Reminds me of that advert where someone balances a coin on edge on a sports car engine. Lovely smooth machines.

PS early type 4 was made in Switzerland I have two and at some point moved production to Italy which I have one . nothing different on the outside but the swiss ones run quieter .. one tip change those bearings asap , being that old the grease will have collapsed if the top bearing siezes it usually melts the case which u cant get , and its dusty bin time or in my case added to the shelf of spares !

Back