Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

 Reply
By Fergal
#1261491
I'm a member of a men's shed and as most of the membership are elderly gentlemen, the subject of making your own coffin came up. The ethos of our shed is to use reclaimed or recycled materials whenever possible and the preference is for cremation, so the coffin doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.

Are there any regulations regarding the construction of coffins? As far as I can tell, if they're to be cremated, they must be made of combustible materials with no metal parts. Does this include screws or other fasteners? Anybody have any experience of making coffins?

Thanks
By sunnybob
#1261504
There might be an issue if using pallet wood or timber that has been treated with insecticides and the like. Any thing that would give off noxious fumes would not be allowed.
By Fergal
#1261511
Aren't most pallets heat treated rather than pressure treated and therefore ok to burn? We did discuss the use of pallet wood, some were keen on it, others would prefer a nice hardwood although it does seem a waste to burn that.
User avatar
By AndyT
#1261519
There's an episode of the Wood Wright's Shop showing the trad method with the kerfed shoulders, I think, which could be useful.
By Yojevol
#1261532
You're right to think about functionality. Apart from its ultimate purpose it needs to substantial enough to stand upright in the corner of the workshop with a few shelves (easily removable of course) included. Give it a hinged lid/door and it'll last your lifetime!
A friend's father did this and when the time came for it to be used for its ultimate purpose, she had to clear it of tins of paint and finishes. A funeral director came and prepared the departed in the workshop and there he laid for his mates and family to come and pay their respects until the day of the funeral.
What a way to go!
Brian
User avatar
By stuartpaul
#1261550
From an increasingly dodgy memory I think they have to be fitted with a 'fluid proof' lining? Certainly the wicker ones have to be.
User avatar
By whiskywill
#1261583
stuartpaul wrote:From an increasingly dodgy memory I think they have to be fitted with a 'fluid proof' lining? Certainly the wicker ones have to be.


Line it with Pampers or Tena Lady pads.
By Bodgers
#1261604
Full marks for selecting the most grim woodworking project you could possibly take on ;)

I think if I was retired I would just request a wicker one in a will and move on to something more uplifting...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
By lurker
#1261606
Bodgers wrote:Full marks for selecting the most grim woodworking project you could possibly take on ;)

I think if I was retired I would just request a wicker one in a will and move on to something more uplifting...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk


I seem to remember someone here made an ashes box.

The wicker ones are quite a bit priceyer than oak faced chipboard. DAMHIKT!
By Bodgers
#1261607
lurker wrote:
Bodgers wrote:Full marks for selecting the most grim woodworking project you could possibly take on ;)

I think if I was retired I would just request a wicker one in a will and move on to something more uplifting...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk


I seem to remember someone here made an ashes box.

The wicker ones are quite a bit priceyer than oak faced chipboard. DAMHIKT!
An urn for somebody, fair enough. Your Own coffin, not so much...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Pete Maddex
#1261610
I made an ashes box, its now buried in their garden, its all made from Iroko so it might still be o/k.

Imagecasketandtable by pete maddex, on Flickr

Look at the colour difference between the table and box, its the same wood!

Pete
User avatar
By Lons
#1261612
I made oak ashes boxes for each of my parents, not an easy job I found emotionally and not sure I'd embark on a coffin project.

As far as liquid proof linings don't they pull your innards out through your nose and stuff your orifices with cotton wool. :roll: #-o
User avatar
By MikeG.
#1261616
Lons wrote:...........As far as liquid proof linings don't they pull your innards out through your nose and stuff your orifices with cotton wool. :roll: #-o


Only when you get buried in The Valley of The Kings. Evidently you're better connected than the rest of us, Lons. :)