Wood Allergies and Toxicity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be like the listed possible side-effects on back of tablets, in the sense they have to list all possible problems but for majority of people they'll be no issues?

I only say it as someone with severe pet allergies (have to keep anti-histamines handy) I've spent plenty of time using ash, indian rosewood and bubinga, they're all listed as irritants on that list yet I've never had a problem with any of them.

Sorry, not terribly helpful but thought I'd mention it.

it depends on the individual, I am sensitised to rosewoods and sapele, rosewood in particular makes me feel very ill, so you have to be careful, never just presume you'll be ok, it's safer to just stick to non toxic woods.

Most of these "scary" allergies are related to dust rather than a lump of wood.
The finer the dust, the greater the hazard and the likelihood you will become sensitised to a degree that makes you seriously ill.
Although I'd be interested if tyreman backs my statement.

Chaz will be along shortly to add his two pennyworth, he "suffers" quite badly, but again I think its just dust.

Iroka makes me itch so I never use it as i don't want it to provoke a serious sensitisation.

Thanks all.
I suppose what's missing from the list is the conditions under which the different woods become irritants. I guess 'irritant' means 'can cause allergic reactions in some people'. But still that seems vague - to some woodworkers, to some end-users? I notice beech and sycamore aren't on the list, so there's no evidence anyone's allergic to those woods?
The list gets referred to a fair bit on the net - does anyone know any others that might give a bit more explanation? Cheers.

Wood dust allergy is a tricky one, I have worked with wood for 33 years.
In May I went home after a day in the workshop, and started to itch from head to foot.
I had been using Beech and Ash as well as cascamite.
I am now only able to do small stints in the workshop, mostly supervising and training and then only by taking 4 times the recommended dose of anti histamines.
If I get wood dust on my skin now without the drugs, I come up in hives and itch like mad.
Don't let this stop you though, this is a fairly rare reaction.
I am lucky as I employ staff so can work around this, if I had been on my own it would have been a bigger issue.

Mostly its the dust that gets you, I worked in the boat trade for years & the worst hardwood timbers were usually Iroko & some Mahoganies, As for softwood Western red cedar is not good stuff, i love the smell of it but it dont like me.
Had a couple of reactions to it when machining & sanding it, pains in chest, coughing for days. I wont go near it now without a powered respirator.
Over on the wooden boat forum there was a thread about this subject & some horrendous photos, the consensus was WRC was about the worst timber going health wise.

CHJ":pwh8mirr said:

Thanks Chas. The first one's titled 'The Why and How of Toxic Reactions to Wood' - is that correct? Coming from a position of no knowledge but having seen the Wood Database version, I'd assumed toxicity was one thing, allergens another? But definitely helpful on allergens, whatever the title.

The second one includes beech as a 'Sensitizer, nasopharyngeal cancer' but beech isn't included in the Wood Database at all; but Ash is included in the Wood Database but not the one linked to! Also, I wondered why beech has nasopharyngeal cancer listed but most woods don't, yet my understanding is that the dust from all woods is potentially carcinogenic? Anyway, that listing seems way more thorough and useful, so thanks!

it was the dust that got me with rosewood, so always wear a mask when sawing or sanding to minimise the chances of a reaction. With non toxic woods like oak, ash, pine, spruce, beech, walnut, maple, sycamore and cherry you are very unlikely to have a problem.

FWIW beech is very commonly used for domestic and commercial food-contact implements.

Most of the wooden spoons, chopping boards, and bowls I have owned and used since the 1950s have been beech.

Of course a lot of people have felt free to use tobacco over that period -- so no promises.

Frank.

Back