bevel protractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entelec

Reaction score
Hi, I've just acquired a Moore & Wright bevel protractor No 995. Does anyone know the purpose of the small hole in the back exposing some gear teeth?

I found this in a 1969 catalogue which says it's for a small pinion thumb screw to give fine adjustment.

IMG_20181213_2026082991.jpg

Good luck finding one if it was missing from yours!

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_2026082991.jpg
    IMG_20181213_2026082991.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 692
Yikes!

According to the BoE's inflation calculator, that's around 280 quid today (plus VAT, probably - would've been purchase tax back then, of course, or none). But then it did come with two different arms and was probably extremely accurate.

Still, at 365/- it's now off my Christmas list :-(

E.

It is a serious bit of kit, indeed, definitely not your average diy tool!

I'm hoping entelec will tell us more about his acquisition.

Great info, thanks andy, thought it might be something like that. Its an engineering instrument from the Precision M/C Shop at Sir W G Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Ltd, measures to 5mins arc on a vernier, in near mint condition. Will post photos if you think its of interest, if I get a round tuit in my Xmas stocking!

That makes sense - not your average metal bashers. But have you got the extra little pinion to fit into the hole?

AndyT":3raq1tco said:
That makes sense - not your average metal bashers. But have you got the extra little pinion to fit into the hole?

No, I'll have to make one - project no 1001 :roll:

Back