Small table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering on the best approach on the top of a small table. I am looking at making it 50cm dia circle, which ill need three boards for (mostly prepped). My question is, do i cut the third board into two and join them either side? Two boards equal about 40cm, so this would the need a 5 cm (ish) board either side.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg
(main two boards - i might cut the lighter part of the board out so the dark pieces 'match' more closely).

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 648
Why not just move your circle centre to the middle of the middle board? One less glue line required that way.

It might seem wasteful, but I think I'd use the extra width to lose some of the lighter wood (sapwood ?) off the sides of all the boards, or at least the two you are calling your main boards, placing the cuts to get the most harmonious grain/colour transitions you can. Certainly losing that light triangle between the darkest parts, as you say. I can see why you'd place the boards that way up to make the most of the heartwood, but it does go against conventional wisdom of alternating the direction of the annual rings; make sure your table design has something to hold the top flat, or it may form a big smiley when the humidity changes !

I was thinking that as well, the whole piece is either going to be painted grey or use the OSM grey tinted oil....So i suppose i use the conventional approach.

Back