Cheap workshop light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these for £22.49 yesterday:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-portab ... 240v/1098k

I think it throws a good cold light for the money and being portable can be used in different parts of the garage - I built a little stand that I hot glued to the top of the bandsaw for when I'm working on the lathe (to the right) and another (skewwy) stand to the left of the bandsaw for when I'm using the saw. Need to tidy the cable today, but it works very well for me.
_MG_7865.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_7865.jpg
    _MG_7865.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,160
Chris I bought the re-chargeable battery version some time back, its a bit smaller, but as you say gives off a very good bright light to work with.

i have a couple of ones similar to those Phil.P mentions - one in the shed and one in my office and they are both OK. But they were no where near bright enough for the workshop.

I now have 2 600x600 LED panels from toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p20233 over the workbench area, and one of these from costco https://www.costco.co.uk/Furniture-Home ... t/p/256462 . NOTE: i "think" this was about £10 cheaper in the warehouse than it is online.

The combination now means there are few shadows and it is very bright in there

I'd recommend the square LED type, they are amazing, the light is a lot more comfortable to work in and looks just like daylight, much more pleasant than the halogen type, get some in.

I'd definitely like to get a couple of those panels fitted at some point.

Meanwhile, in case it's relevant to anyone, the portable light I linked to above is ok as a video light - I bought a second for this purpose and, with a single sheet of paper kitchen towel over the front to diffuse the light (or bounced off a wall) they work pretty well.

Do you know if these 600 by 600 lights are available with a water resistance rating of ip44 or ip65?

I could make use of a couple but it would need to resist a few drips of condensation from the rooflight.

Alternatively has anyone seen a similar light to these 600 by 600 panels but smaller eg 400 by 400

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The 600mm square size is a standard modular size to fit in suspended ceiling grids. I'm unsure if you will have much choice in other sizes.
If you need smaller, it may be worth a look at the circular style around 6-8 inches diameter. There are plenty of these available at good prices, IP65 rated if you need it as they are popular for washrooms as well as replacing circular downlighters in offices and communal spaces. Super slim - 15mm thick if not less. Light output can be substantial !

This is what I use over the lathe. 12w LED panel, about £6 off Ebay.

Panel Light 12w.JPG

Adjustable arm for movement & hung on a french cleat for easy placement.

Attachments

• Panel Light 12w.JPG
    Panel Light 12w.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 687
Hi

Thank you for your photos and replies

Looking into these a bit more it seems they mostly run off an LED driver at a lower voltage.

Do you need one driver per light or can one LED driver run multiple lights.

If I do swap over to LEDs for the workshop what colour temperature have people found most appropriate.

Moving this thread off Topic I've also noticed that some of the waterproof bathroom fittings run on 24 volt output from the LED driver. So it should be possible to use a 12 Volt car battery with a small 12 to 24 volt converter/ inverter to install bathroom LED lights inside and outside my garden tool shed. These bathroom fittings seem to have a more diffuse light where is many 12 volt options produce a bit more glare.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MikeJhn":19283y8y said:
Chris I bought the re-chargeable battery version some time back, its a bit smaller, but as you say gives off a very good bright light to work with.

Just got a Screwfix flyer through the door - the re-chargeable battery version (2300 lumen) is now £14.99 (reduced from 39.99), which seems like a real bargain.

Back