Book?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F Flinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I suspect that a lot of you served apprenticeships so know your trade very well, I on the other hand went into the medical world, so my knowledge of woodworking is limited, so I need a couple of books recommending, I need to know how to make joints, I want to built a green oak "Gazebo" type structure, so its making the "A" frames, and how to do it is bothering me, then one on general workshop machinery, Thanks Ff

You won't find a book on gazebo a frames ! Just take a look at the one your considering
And see how there put together. General workshop machinery without knowing what machinery is also a bit vague.
I would decide on what your making( gazebo a frame) how it's made ( and what material)
What you need to make it ( saws etc)
And take it from there

there are books on green oak timber framing out there, that might be a good starting point.

I found that R. Bayliss' and also Brian Porter's "Carpentry & Joinery" books 1 through 4 (Volume 1 through 3 for Porters) were very comprehensive as far as covering all the basic and advanced knowledge in both Carpentry and Joinery, and would most likely cover all the bases of what you would like to know (Structures, Roofs, joints, Setting up a workshop, etc.). The books can also be picked up very cheaply as well, you'd probably spend less than £25 on all 7 books if you shopped around.

I would personally start forming joints on practice pieces (3 x 9 tanalized or similar) just to get an idea of what you're getting into, also it helps to avoid making the big mistakes when you're working on the £100 piece of oak.

Latest posts

Back