Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Charley
I've been researching a few methods of how to improve the way photos are handled on the forum.

Obviously, we need a simpler and more user-friendly solution where you can choose any photo on your computer/device and the forum resizes and compresses the photo for you and takes all the hassle away.

How would you prefer to upload photos to a post? Do you currently use the "Upload Attachment" feature and just would like that to be user-friendly?

Would you prefer a solution like https://postimages.org or http://photobucket.com where you can simply upload photos and get given a URL/IMG tag to insert into the post?

or would you like to be able to create your own public photo gallery where you can create albums, upload and share photos?
By AndyT
First of all, many thanks for starting this thread and showing that you're willing to look for improvements.

Third party "free" hosting services like postimages, imjur or photobucket all bring the risk that they will change their terms of service or go bust, leaving a trail of dud links all over again.
Logically, there's still a risk of that if you host the photos on the forum's webspace, but photos would stay visible for as long as the forum survives. :)

I'd welcome an interface with the slickness of something like postimages, good on mobile or on PC, but leading to the same servers as the uploaded attachments.

We wouldn't need to set up an extra account, it would just work with the forum accounts.

It would also provide a sortable gallery option so we can easily find and reuse a previously posted picture.

It would acknowledge that copyright in photos belongs to the photographers though we license them to you for use on the forum, even after closing an account, which is the same as happens now with attachments.

Links to images which are already online should still work like they do now - the current interface is fine for them.

And like you say, it would allow any size images to be uploaded, shrink them to a sensible compromise size, then display nicely, adapting to the device in use.

Yes please!
By ColeyS1
AndyT wrote:First of all, many thanks for starting this thread and showing that you're willing to look for improvements.

Third party "free" hosting services like postimages, imjur or photobucket all bring the risk that they will change their terms of service or go bust, leaving a trail of dud links all over again.
Logically, there's still a risk of that if you host the photos on the forum's webspace, but photos would stay visible for as long as the forum survives. :)

I'd welcome an interface with the slickness of something like postimages, good on mobile or on PC, but leading to the same servers as the uploaded attachments.

We wouldn't need to set up an extra account, it would just work with the forum accounts.

It would also provide a sortable gallery option so we can easily find and reuse a previously posted picture.

It would acknowledge that copyright in photos belongs to the photographers though we license them to you for use on the forum, even after closing an account, which is the same as happens now with attachments.

Links to images which are already online should still work like they do now - the current interface is fine for them.

And like you say, it would allow any size images to be uploaded, shrink them to a sensible compromise size, then display nicely, adapting to the device in use.

Yes please!
^ I think you've pretty well summed it up !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By sunnybob
Photobucket had to eat crow over their $400 a year price ransom, but its still not free.

Imgur does work, but its not user friendly. I had to ask every time i wanted to do anything and I've given up using it.

By far the simplest (but possibly costly) way would be to increase the memory size on the forum.

I use two american forums, and I can post as many pics as I want in any thread, straight from my computer, as long as the size of the pic is less than 5 Mb.
No other party involved. Click the attachment link, upload the photo directly to their site, then submit the thread.
I've never had to resize or alter a pic on those sites.
By stuartpaul
I don't do much with photos anywhere else so the ability to just upload and let the forum do the rest would be ideal for a user like me.

Readily accept that others will have more 'complex' needs so any solution needs to work for the majority.

I've sort of got used to resizing now so it's not a massive hassle.
By sunnybob
Noel wrote:Imgur is dead easy to use Bob. Less than 30 secs to get an image on a thread. And I never/rarely sign in.
I'm assuming the 2 US forums are a bit bigger than here?

I was getting there with imgur, but to be honest I gave up purely because it was so complicated getting pics onto here at the start.
I have my pics on my brothers web site so when photobucket went stupid i just never went back to my pics on there.
The usa sites are
www.routerforums.com
and
www.woodworkingtalk.com

Now owned by a big company but originally a one man band like this site.
By AES
First off, +1 for Andy T's post. Agree 100%. And also, I have not used/do not wish to use any type of external pix hosting service. Partly for the reason he posts (possible costs in future), and partly because I prefer to keep all my pix on my own drive and not have another internet account (with yet another password of course) with someone else.

Second off, sunnybob wrote, QUOTE: I use two american forums, and I can post as many pics as I want in any thread, straight from my computer, as long as the size of the pic is less than 5 Mb.
No other party involved. Click the attachment link, upload the photo directly to their site, then submit the thread. I've never had to resize or alter a pic on those sites. UNQUOTE:

Like Bob I regularly use 1 US forum, and exactly the same comment as sunnybob's above applies. The Forum I use is for toy making, and apart from a small "general" section, is limited to very much that single topic, so I very much doubt it has as many members as UKW. OTOH, the site also sells direct to the public (you don't have to be a Forum member) a huge range of plans for toys of all sorts, so that's a difference to UKW. I have no idea, but could be that the plans sales subsidises their Forum/the server size needed to support direct posting of large picture files. BTW, I don't know about sunnybob's experience, but in my case, any pix I post there are much smaller than the 5 M limit - I guess mine average about 2 M
By sunnybob
I use either a digital slr camera, or my phone, the camera will go to 8 meg but I have never needed that for any picture. The phone will go to 5 meg, but its rare for any of my pics to be over 3Mb. and 2 is the norm.
Compare that to the incredibly small 250 Kb this site requires.
By Tervueren
I belong to several photography websites and most have the option of direct upload from your device, one good outcome is that any image picked up by a search engine would lead directly to the forum and another good thing is the user here won't be held hostage to a hosting site to become a member in order to view the pics, copyright is another issue that members may want to consider :roll:
By CHJ
Are these sites allowing large file uploads (your cost not theirs) actually storing the large file or just compressing it on site and saving & displaying a smaller image file.

For instant, most images seen on news sites such as the BBC are only 30-60KB JPG image files.

EG:-
_103554290_gritter.jpg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-45624701

Size:-45.1 KB (46,245 bytes) Size on disc:-48.0 KB (49,152 bytes)
By Ttrees
Download for free microsoft sharepoint designer 2010.
It needs to be the 2010 version as it has microsoft office picture manager, the 2013 version does not have this program.
Easy to resize pictures, say the pic is on your desktop or folder, float the cursor on the picture
1 Right click your mouse on pic, select edit in the scroll list.
2 Select resize, and use the "predefined width" go for the large document.
3 Hit the OK button to save it.
4 Drag the picture where you want it to go, either folder or desktop.
Thats it, you may want to "rename" your small picture

Hope this helps
Tom
By sunnybob
The microsoft office picture manager is what I use for this site, but my version is 2007, so as long as you have "picture manager" the year is not important. My version gives a drop down menu for picture resizing and i use "large web page". but you have to rename the new smaller picture or you will lose the original sized one.

Photobucket used to store the whole picture for free. you could view it at my web page, or I could "share image" with any one else or any site i pasted it to.
but they got silly with costs.
Imgur also store the whole picture with the same benefits as photobucket.
By AES
+1 for sunnybob's idea about MS Picture Manager. Mine is from the Office 2003 package and still works fine and quickly for re-sizing pics, just as he says. It's what I use for re-sizing pix for posting here.