Lathe Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb59

Reaction score
Hi,

Just hoping anyone could advise me on a choice of lathe, I just want to turn some fishing lures for the up coming retirement to keep me busy.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Any small lathe will do that fine. For small projects like these you wont have large out of balance stock to rough so variable speed isn’t really a must have.

Depending on budget, I’d look for a bench top lathe with as many extras as poss. Items such as a selection of quality turning tools, a chuck, drive centre, live centre, etc are often bundled and a package in used condition can be a bargain.

Many will extol the virtues of the older design twin bed bar record power machines (not a fan myself but no matter), there are many similar type bench lathe - look in the cheaper end of the axminster range, and probably at the other end of the price point is something like the Vicmarc 100 type lathe.

One thing to consider, if you get a spindle thread of ideally 1”x8tpi or pref M33 x 3.5 then if you decide to trade up to do bigger projects in the future most of the accessories you have will be still suitable.

Simon

Agree with Simon's comments. (I' m a Record Power CL4 owner by the way).
I also regularly use Axminster lathes and even the most basic cheapest hobby benchtop lathe will work fine for occasional and lighter duty work.
Just bear in mind though that the Axi hobby range is rated at 100hrs a year usage - that's right a year! If you are likely to get the bug and work on it much more then do look for trade rated lathes as they are more likely to last you through your retirement
Oh and I do like the new compact RP Coronet Herald which has a lot going for it with most of the goodies you might wish for if you find the turning bug gets to you and you are thinking of going for a new one!
And one final bit of advice is look out for where your most local AWGB turning club is and go along. You are quite likely to find someone is selling some kit and turners are always a friendly bunch willing to help beginners.

I would look for an old Tyme Cub or Avon ,theCub was my first lathe back in the 8o,s it was a fine little lathe which would be ideal for your intended use.My neighbour recently picked up an Avon complete with a Masterchuck for only 200 pounds I had a little play on it and it was fine,in my opinion much better than the modern Records ,I'm fairly sure that they were a British product and built in Britain.

my suggestion would be the jet mini. I have the 1014 model. Good solid piece of kit, which I have had no issues with. Fishing lures are unlikely to push the limits of any lathe, but if you do decide to do other items, the jet will last you a little while, until you want to do bowls.

I have a small Axminster lathe here that I don't use anymore due to lack of space and time. This will likely go up for sale with a variety of chucks, plates, tools and chisels.

You're a bit far from me though and it too heavy to post.

jb59":13hfrszf said:
Passing that way on the 21 of next month.

I'll get it out soon and snap some pictures if you like.

Axminster still sells it but its white as mine is blue.

There's a variety of chisels, some Robert Sorby, some generic. Two chucks IIRC and some tools and rests. Quite a few blocks of different hardwoods to get started.

I have used it in the past in my spare time but I don't seem to get spare time anymore....

I'm at S66

I will be coming back from Carlisle on the Friday s Imagine I could be around your way by lunch time, do you have a figure in mind.

JB

Could I ask what members think of the Jet 1220 as I have seen a few for around the 300 mark or the Nova comet 11 vs, again they will only be initially used to make lures such as Devon minnows but I am put off by the hobby lathes so would rather start off with something half decent!

Many thanks.

JB

JB
I will be moving to a village in Bedfordshire close to North Northants in about a week's time. And will have a small lathe for sale £150 if you are interested let me know
Timber

jb59":1aiv5w6m said:
Thanks for getting in touch, what lathe is it.
Hi JB
I will send a pm later re: lathe etc I have only replied to your question as I will live close (2 miles ) from Northamtonshire

Timber

jb59":1af6eat1 said:
Hi,

Just hoping anyone could advise me on a choice of lathe, I just want to turn some fishing lures for the up coming retirement to keep me busy.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Arundel J4 Junior. One of the nicest lathes ever and crop up regularly on Ebay £100 ish. Avoid Record power they are cr*p in comparison. I've had both.

Back