Dust extractor buying advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new dust extractor to couple up to my handheld sanders and bobbin sander.

I previously used one of these (https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html) powerful but very loud indeed so I'm looking for something quieter.

I already have a 1hp Clarke extractor with cyclone coupled to my table saw and a 2hp Fox extractor (very impressed with this) for the router table, bandsaw, scroll saw and belt/disc sander so it's purely for my sanders.

I'm looking at this at the moment:

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/fox-f50800-d ... OX_F50_800

Anyone using one of these? Filtration and noise are the main concerns.

Thanks in advance

Ray

There are MANY threads on here about noise reduction, have a search.
Anything you buy that is quiet is NOT going to work well. Reduce the noise of the one you have.
I have that same machine in a sound deadening cabinet and it does everything i want it to.

Cheers Bob

Mine burned out a few weeks ago so looking for something different.

Lasted 6 years mind so not all bad.

I think a have some spare filter bags if you need some.

Mine is coming up to 4 years, no sign of a problem yet. If it lasts another 2 I shall be happy, enough to buy another the same.

I'm confused. You want to buy a machine that has a smaller inlet pipe, a smaller capacity drum, and costs more?

Unless you really need the wet suction.

Yes, it's only going to be used for my sanders so no need for a 100mm inlet.

I already have two dust/chip collectors and a portable 5L extractor for everything else.

Filtration isn't good enough on those for the dust coming off sanders.

Numatic Henry, Henrietta, or for larger capacity a George or Georgina quietest in the small vacuum range and exemplary dust collection, big bonus is sealable dust bags on removal.

Mike

MikeJhn":3ua7oo08 said:
Numatic Henry, Henrietta, or for larger capacity a George or Georgina quietest in the small vacuum range and exemplary dust collection, big bonus is sealable dust bags on removal.Mike

Plus if you use it with a cyclone or a Thien collector you bag will collect very little dust & you can use it for larger sawdust.

Except that a cyclone or Thien collector do not collect the dust into a bag, therefore the dust you have so carefully avoided at source you will be exposed to when emptying.

Mike

Robbo3":2t4r7yzz said:
Plus if you use it with a cyclone or a Thien collector you bag will collect very little dust & you can use it for larger sawdust.

I agree cyclones are very good at separating dust. I have one connected to my Clarke chip collector for my table saw. Not sure if I have enough room for a second cyclone.

Off topic: what happened to cyclone central?

I was after one of their 100mm cyclones a while back.

Ended up buying the Fox F50-800 and the suction is great. A lot quieter than my old Sip bucket.

Only bad point I can find is the hose as it's a bit on the heavy side and pulls on the sander so have to hang it from a hook above.

Not sure how long it takes to fill the bags but being used with sanders only it might be OK.

Back