Hello I'm new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just signed up to this forum in the hope to learn something from the pro's.

I have no woodworking background but started making bits and bobs out of pine about 6 years ago and so far enjoying it.

Mainly making personalised toy chests and kitchen shelf units at the moment as the workshop isn't really big enough for big stuff.

Some pictures of the chests I make. Misses Ray paints these on her days off.

Ray

Welcome Ray. There are some interesting things discussed and commented upon on this forum so keep tuned in.

John

Welcome Ray. There's some great people here and you'll learn a lot. And those chests look great - could Mrs Ray come here and paint some toys for me please? :lol:

Hi Ray, welcome aboard.

The toy chests look great but hope you don't mind if I make a couple of comments, my personal opinion only of course.

1. Seems a shame to paint the pine especially when you've gone to the trouble of dovetails ( router template presumably?) Might as well use MDF imo.

2. The lid cross braces spoil it for me. Not the braces themselves but because the screws are visible, I assume the inside doesn't get painted. Just glue and a few pins or countersink the screws and glue in plugs maybe?

cheers
Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments all.

Bob, I totally agree with you regarding painting over the dovetails. I'd like to see the dovetails.

Not all boxes are painted though. Maybe 60% of them.

And yes, they're done with a router on a jig so not true dovetails just half blind.

I try and avoid working with MDF. Hate the stuff. These boxes are all unpainted on the inside so it's nice to see some pine even when the outside is painted.

Good comment about the screws. I use black screws for the braces to make them look a bit nicer than standard pozi screws but screwing and plugging them might be a nicer option like you said.

You are welcome Raymond. I especially like the lettering on the boxes. Band saw or fret saw?

Jig or not the joinery is not one of my specialties and they look pretty good to me. I have made a couple of toy boxes and as far as i could see they are not that simple.

If you have a gander at my site, below, you'll see what I love doing and it doesn't include joinery :D

Yes, the letters are cut both with a bandsaw and fretsaw. A box takes me about 6 hours to build. A little shorter if I make 2 or 3 at the same time.

The dovetails aren't anything special to cut. The dovetail jig setting never get changed and I keep a dedicated router so both are always ready and set to go.

I have had a look at your website this morning. Some intricate and wonderful stuff you make. The clock is something else... :shock:

Back