Quick house name carve

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick and simple, delivery drivers were getting fed up after 2 years of no clues, so finally decided to get on and do it.

3KvpIPt.jpg

OdqBujA.jpg

YhfQKRs.jpg

yUAKgts.jpg

printed out and spraymounted on the gate, then freehand with a 45deg bit in 1/2" router.
The secret of any freehand work (router, jigsaw, bandsaw etc) is just to keep it moving, stopping and starting shows up really badly, even if you wander of by 1/2mm just keep going.
Could have done it on a plate and screwed it on, but that would be cheating, just got to go for it.
Spell check is important

Bob, funny enough, I did some tryouts a while back ( just my kids names for their doors type thing as an experiment) Freehand in some salvaged pine bed slats from my lasses old cot as a test. Pine was pretty tight grained. Good quality .
Is it my imagination but I just hand drew the letters on in pencil, 1/4" flat bottom bit, bit of fun but I found it much easier to rout the letters in reverse from right to left. First attempt I did it as I would write. When I tried it the other way It worked much better.
Anyone know if there's a reason (rotation of bit/cut etc) or is it just a case of my innate genetics favouring my cousins cuddles? :shock:
Nice gate btw Bob...

Cheers.
Chris

Back