Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By John15
bottom splay 001.JPG
I am well on with the 3 chairs to match my first one to make up a set of four.
I have a minor change of design question. I'm thinking about forming a single splay to the inside of the front and back legs as marked on the photo, say 75 x 10mm. I've seen it before and to me it looks very effective.
Having only just thought of it, I've already tapered the legs from 40 to 30mm on all sides. So my question is - will this short splay look OK on the already tapered legs?

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By custard
I'm not entirely clear on this John. A splay is generally taken to mean that the centre line of the leg is angled, where as a taper just means the leg is smaller at the bottom than the top, so a tapered leg doesn't necessarily mean it's splayed and vice versa.
By John15
Sorry for the confusion Custard. Yes, 'splay' is the wrong term. I've tapered the legs on all four sides from 40 to 30mm, and I'm thinking about adding a further taper at the bottom of the inside faces, say 75 x 10mm.
Would this lower taper look OK as well as the taper from the underside of the seat rail or would it look messy? You can see the lower taper marked on the photo.
Hope that's clearer.

John
By custard
I see now what you're aiming for. That small additional taper is a very common design device, it really helps furniture look lighter and more agile. You'll have no problems with that and, at a pinch, you could even amend your previous chair to match.
By John15
lower taper 002.JPG
lower taper 001.JPG
Custard, the taper is on both inside faces 100mm high and leaving 20 x 20mm for the base of the leg. The chairs are not expected to have any rough treatment so hopefully 20 x 20 will be robust enough.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By custard
I normally take chair legs down to about 25 x 20mm, but I don't see a problem with 20 x 20mm. I've seen chairs that have lasted over 100 years that are down to about 18 x 18mm. As always with woodworking, it's not so much about the dimensions as about the quality of materials and workmanship, good quality straight grained hardwood plus accurate, tight joints means you'll be fine.
By John15
No.3 chair prior to sanding 4 002.JPG
I'm on my third chair of the set of four - photo attached prior to sanding (abranet). Nos 1 and 2 have turned out well and I'm finding things fairly straight forward although it is a simple design. It's only been the angled tenons that I have had to take extreme care with marking out. I'm going to have a go at the upholstery myself, using 12mm ply rather than 18mm as first planned - thanks Custard for the advice on thickness.

John
By custard
John15 wrote:I'm going to have a go at the upholstery myself, using 12mm ply rather than 18mm as first planned

Don't forget to drill some holes in the ply base, if the air can't escape from the foam then you'll be wobbling around like you're on a space hopper!
Chairs-Ply-Bottoms-01.jpg

Chairs-Ply-Bottoms-02.jpg