Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Tetsuaiga
I was removing a drive centre by tapping it out but it was taking a lot of force. Eventually I got it out but, then gave the centre a light sanding and also the inside morse taper as they seemed rough and drive centre had rings.

If i remember right the whole headstock spindle assembly didn't move back and forth like this before. The graduate manual looks like it should be in the left position, but the paint work suggest right.

Presumably there are screws you can tighten up that lock it down?

I've been trying to learn how it all works myself but having terminology gaps is proving hard.

Thanks
By Tetsuaiga
Hi Tfrench,

I've located the set screws but I don't understand how you adjust the spacer blocks, unless they move when I slide the whole assembly across?

Also how do I know what the correct position is? Id presume it's where the paint job ends but i'd rather have a better way to know.

Thanks
By BertD
It would appear that you need to slide the spindle towards the thrust bearing surface and then lock the collar to hold it there. The thrust bearing surface may need attention if there has been any amount of dust and dirt entering it.
By Tetsuaiga
Thanks.

I've been trying different positions but there don't seem to be any dimples to match up with the screws, that I can find.

I can now tap the drive centre out without it moving, though haven't applied force from a real workpiece yet.

Does anyone know what the tapped hole is at the rear of the spindle, just behind where the drive centre inserts. My lathe has been replaced with sealed bearings but that particular hole has nothing in it at all which seems odd.