Louvred vents for boiler room?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am fitting some new internal doors for a customer. One of the doors in the entrance hall is into a small room/cupboard which houses the gas boiler. The existing door has 2 white plastic vent cut in to it, one near the top and one near the bottom, they are something like 200 mm x 150 mm. The new door wants some stainless steel colour vents to match the ironmongery.

Some of the vents say not suitable for use with gas appliances while some say they are, see links below.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-gas- ... 26mm/1641r

https://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-fix ... 52mm/75630

What is the difference and does it matter in this situation? The cupboard also has some airbricks as ventilation to the outside.

Thanks in advance, Doug

not a definitive answer but surely venting to outside is better than venting indoors. and if it is a balanced flue boiler shouldnt need vents anyway as the boiler will take in air and expel exhaust gases anyway

If the boiler is a balanced flue sealed type that takes its fresh air from outside, then the vents are only needed to stop the room from getting too warm.
If the boiler is an older type that takes air from the room for combustion then there are VERY SPECIFIC sizes of vents required depending on the size of the boiler, and you should consult a qualified gas boiler installer, or you could end up with a very serious carbon monoxide problem.

I will be replacing the vents with vents the same size, I am sure they are only there to stop the room getting too warm though. The question was more about why some vents are suitable for gas appliances and others are not despite looking the same, I will speak with the customers heating engineer to get a definite answer.

Doug71":2f7fu862 said:
I will be replacing the vents with vents the same size, I am sure they are only there to stop the room getting too warm though. The question was more about why some vents are suitable for gas appliances and others are not despite looking the same, I will speak with the customers heating engineer to get a definite answer.

The answer has already been given by Sunnybob, the reason for the wording is because the seller has no idea what type of boiler it is to be used with and thus the ones that match the requirements for an internal breathing boiler, are marked "suitable" and those that are not, are labelled as such.

Far simpler than trying to explain the differences etc in the sales blurb.

The manufacturer has tested and certified in accordance with the regulations = compatible

They will be more expensive due to the testing and compliance required.

deema":v6kh7003 said:
The manufacturer has tested and certified in accordance with the regulations = compatible

They will be more expensive due to the testing and compliance required.

Thank you, it's obvious when you put it like that #-o

Doug

Back