Router table jig for jewellery box tray dividers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm primarily a box maker, I spend forever making very small cross lap joints for the dividers in the trays.
IMG_2279.jpg

To date I've been cutting these by hand and it was only when I was commenting on an Instagram post by a professional box maker, did I find out that he cuts his on a router table.
So after a bit of experimentation: -
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg

Very basic, but by having the "support" at right angles to the main body, I can just run the jig along the table fence without having to worry about aligning to the table track. The only reason for having 3 "prongs" is so that I can support small cross dividers.
In operation, I use sacrifical pieces both in front and at the back of the workpieces to prevent breakout (and to protect the support piece) and one workpiece is routed the right way up and the second upside down. For symmetrical dividers, you can simply swap the piece end to end.
Edit.
So busy resizing pictures that I forgot to add I use wood marginally thicker than the diameter of the router bit - by say 0.1 - 0.2mm, so as to get a tight, gap free fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 739
What a cracking idea. I regularly make variations around these side tables, which feature delicate stretchers with similar cross halving joints

Side-Table-Oak.jpg

Tiger-Oak-Table-1.jpg

I cut the halving joints before cutting the curved shape, so it would require a taller router cutter, but given that these stretchers are normally in about 10-12mm thick material that shouldn't be a problem. The way I currently do it is on a table saw but it's a faff, I have to change from an ATB blade to a fine rip blade to get a flat bottomed cut, so this is definitely one to try, thank you!

Side-Table-Tiger-Oak.jpg

Attachments

• Side-Table-Oak.jpg
    Side-Table-Oak.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 666
  • Tiger-Oak-Table-1.jpg
    Tiger-Oak-Table-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 666
  • Side-Table-Tiger-Oak.jpg
    Side-Table-Tiger-Oak.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 666
I use the same sort of set up to make very small shallow (1-2mm deep) housings (dado) in box and drawer dividers rather than halvings. It allows you to make repeatable housings a set distance from one en.

Back