Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By aramco
Just found this pattern and asked my mate in Australia if his daughter would like this, he seems to think she might, so I will start getting stuff together and see how it goes.The whiskers could be a problem if they are they will be getting let out, unless anyone has any bright ideas??. I have checked the sea mail rates and it is no where as bad as I expected, if it is too heavy / expensive when I get it done I will probably keep it for my wife.

John

pain is the best attention getter
Attachments
Capture cat intarsia (Large).JPG
By aramco
thanks for those suggestions . got all the body parts cut out tonight and started to assemble will leave the head till last.

John

pain is the best attention getter
By Lonsdale73
Maybe showing my age but as a child of the seventies I remember being fascinated by fibre optic lamps that had strands not unlike those whiskers that glowed all the colours of the rainbow at the tips when the light was on.

Feeling a whole lot younger having read the comment about catgut - must have been a while since someone bought fishing line!
By aramco
hi I have done my level best over the last few days to try and up load the pictures of the cat in progress, even resized the picture to 100 x 100 pixels and it still will not have it so I give up.

When it is finished I will endever to persevere - said chief dan george from the film Josie wales - and put it on then.

John
By aramco
hi again this is the finished project minus whiskers as i did not think they would travel very well, and ideas how to get ore shine on the corian please I was going to use car polish

thanks
John[
IMG_0188 (Custom) (Custom) (Custom) (Custom).JPG
IMG_0188 (Custom) (Custom) (Custom) (Custom).JPG (26.79 KiB) Viewed 492 times
By Claymore
Lovely work there, I have used Brasso or duraglit or autosol in the past to polish corian but leave the white alone as the polish might stain it.....other than that you could try waxing it, leave wax to dry for a bit and then polish with a soft cloth.
Cheers
Brian
ps when I made an otter for a customer I used long bristles from a hand brush dipped in dark oak wood stain and they look pretty good.
By aramco
thanks Brian it has to travel by sea to Australia so I think whiskers might be a big ask to stay put, just watched a video on you tube about restoring corian after it has been deeply scratched pretty brutal but got the job done, I learned a lot and wet and dry sand paper can remove a heck of a lot of marks , just got a request for a dragonfly would like to scroll it as opposed to intarsia as it again is going to Australia any suggestions welcome please something real fancy would be nice.

thanks
John
By Claymore
aye John forgot to mention using different grades of wet and dry before using the polish I think my finest W/D was 1000 and they are VERY smooth so buffs up lovely. Your going to need a good strong box for a Dragonfly and I would sandwich the item between some plywood to stop it getting bent/cracked as they do like to throw parcels about....postage will be HIGH for a parcel down under.
Keep us updated on the new projects
Cheers
Brian
By aramco
hi Brian I did some research and found that sea mail wasnt so bad postage wise,£16 for 2 kilos door to doorb but will have to get an accurate reading from the post office sales for exact weight the at weighs in at about 1100 grams .On another subject I think I have come down on the axminster scroll saw for my next one , it was the head swinging for the angles rather than the table, I know you have two which do you prefare .

thanks
John
By Claymore
I like both machines but now use the 30" one the most as its ideal for everything, there was one advertised on the for sale section of the forum but i think it needs some sort of repair.....might be worth checking out how much to repair as it was pretty cheap for a EX30. That is cheap to send them to Aus its cheaper than sending them to Ireland lol
By aramco
hi Brian I checked out the ex 30 for sale on this site and it is collection only and I do not drive anymore so that's out, I have been given the go ahead from the boss to buy another scroll saw that's why I was asking tally ho off we go and get one still not quite sure i will have the work for the ex30 but I would be very upset if I did and has not bought one.
it appears to be cheaper to send stuff to Aussie than Ireland but it is sea mail and it takes about 6 weeks to get there.

thanks
John
By digerman
like your cat it looks good but you should check with customs about sending wood to Australia they have very strict laws about importing wood a pall of mine had friends over and they said they could not take wooden things back with them as customs wood take them
would not like you dun for smuggling