Poolewood 28-40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RytonJohn

Reaction score
I've just acquired a fine Poolewood Superlathe model 28-40. But I need some advice about it and I hope someone can help me.

The lathe is in fine condition but when the previous owner had it, after using it successfully for some time, the motor start capacitor exploded. From the debris, it was not possible to know what its value had been. I have spoken to Poolewood and also to Axminster but they cannot give me the information I need. After some internet research, which produced some rather contradictory advice, I thought a 200 mfd capacitor would be about right and I fitted one. If I slip off the rubber drive belt, the motor starts immediately and reaches full revs quickly. The centrifugal switch operates as it should. So far so good. But with the belt replaced, the motor will not overcome the inertia of the "gearbox" and just buzzes. It is a 1 HP single phase motor and I'm sure it is the original motor. The bearings of the "gearbox" appear to be in good condition, to turn freely and to be properly lubricated.
I am hoping that a Poolewood 28-40 owner with a working lathe could please (a) tell me what value the starting capacitor should be and (b) ideally send me a photo of the wiring inside to make sure that I have correctly fitted the capacitor and (c) point me in the right direction to get this machine working.

I'll be very grateful for any advice.

RytonJohn.

For starters it will be necessary to determine exactly which variant you have, the design and specification changed over several incarnations of the '28-40'

Is the motor a very large and heavy slow speed six pole motor? or is it a smaller version?

The later electronic speed control version would not have a running or starter capacitor.

Also be aware that the 1-1/2" X 6 thread can be either whitworth or UNC dependant on version.

poolewood-2840-t45405.html

28-40-lathe-head-stock-rebuild-bearings-belt-etc-t24306.html

http://www.quest42.co.uk/woodwork/poolw ... flets.html

DSCN2534.JPG
DSCN2533.JPG
DSCN2531.JPG

This help? It's a 1HP six pole motor.

Attachments

• DSCN2531.JPG
    DSCN2531.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • DSCN2533.JPG
    DSCN2533.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN2534.JPG
    DSCN2534.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,320
VERY helpful. Thank you very much. I've ordered a 300 mfd cap and will see if that does the business. It looks as though the machine you photographed for me is the same model as mine .

Back