Padauk planks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinimod

Established Member
Reaction score
After a bit of advice from those in the know. I'm thinking of putting a Padauk timber insert into a skeleton stock for my pistol but am having trouble finding a supplier that does smaller sizes.

Am after couple of bits that are about 3/4"x6"x14". The bit for the fore-end is easier to source as its about 2"sq x8". Anyone have any ideas..........Dom

Just checking....
Padauk is a lovely wood but is extremely red. Is that what you want?

goncalo alves is the traditional exotic wood for pistol grips, but its more brown than padauk.

More details on the pistol is always interesting to an ex shooter like myself.

Morning Bob. I just love the colour of padauk and the times I've used it it has started very bright but has finally toned down a bit after finish is applied.
I've got a Crosman 1740 that I'm going put their skeleton stock like the one below on but use padauk as the insert in the butt :shock: and also fit a fore-end.
It's just that the contrast between the black and the red appeals........Dom
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 181
Dom, padauk fades after prolonged exposure to sunlight, like most bright woods.

I use wipe on poly gloss when I use padauk and its fantastic. But you need to keep it in a close fitting box when your pistol is not in use. If its displayed, the red will quickly fade.
I sold this box with a note to keep it out of direct sunlight
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/image/ ... medium.jpg
Dont know much about air, how is the crossman powered?

Afternoon Bob, hopefully it should keep its colour as for the majority of the time it is kept in a gun cupboard in the wardrobe away from prying eyes.
I take it poly gloss is a polyurethane varnish but never come across wipe on varnish, I must be a bit old fashioned :D
The crosmans run on Co2 and is recoiless like a Pcp, which is better for most of my shooting is bench rest and plinking in the garden. It's only small downside is that the outside temp affects the power slightly, but as I'm only a fair weather shooter it's never that much of an issue for me. Roll on the Spring............Dom

Ps love the box and nice bit of grain showing to boot =D>

Interesting about padouk losing it's colour in sunlight.
I've got a chunk I'll be turning to a bowl at some stage.
What if I were to finish with a sealer that includes "extra protection against uv radiation" (woodoc 50)- could that help to reduce the colour fade over time?

UV is what bleaches colour, so anything that stops uv will delay the fade.
But it wont stop it. Kind of like sun tan cream, its a temporary fix.

If for example, you live in the far north, you have the bowl in a dark corner of a shaded room that the sun never reaches, youre going to be fine for many years.
If you live near the equator and the sun is intense and 12 hours a day, youre fighting a losing battle from day one.

Here in Cyprus i have one wood merchant who has a fantastic amount of exotic wood in industrial quantities (he supplies many furniture making businesses). His fancy wood racks are buried so far back in the warehouse I have to take a torch with me to be able to see where I'm going, let alone look at the timbers.

The americans invented wipe on poly, you can buy MINWAX ready made (if youve just won the euro millions lottery) but its simplicity itself to make.

get a small throwaway cup, some OIL BASED (do NOT USE waterbased) polyeurathane of your choice (gloss, stain, clear. etc>) and some white spirit. Mix equal quantities of both in the cup, mix well and leave for a couple minutes to allow any bubbles to disperse. Use a small piece of clean rag, or even a piece of strong paper towel and wipe the mix over every single part of the project.
Then use another clean piece of cloth or paper and wipe off ALL the excess.
Allow to dry in a dust free area. I use a very large plastic storage container to stop dust settling on the project.
That will give you a very smooth natural look. repeat as many times as you want to give you more depth or gloss. I like gloss.

Highly recommended to use throw away gloves, or your fingers will be stuck together for days.

Cinemod... have you thought about the multi layered and coloured ply that the target rifle shooters use? I really like that effect, and it will be much easier to carve than padauk (g)
I used to be very heavily into handguns through the 80's and 90's. Now i live in Cyprus i am only allowed shotgun and air rifle, but bizarrely, only 177 air, no other calibre allowed.

Cheers for the info Bob, it's sounds like a concoction that I used to use years ago the only difference was that I used to add a bit of BLO to it. If my memory worry serves it did give a very nice finish.

With regards to the coloured laminate you can't seem to get it in the UK, which is a pain because I'd love to make a complete stock for ones of my guns. Most guns that have them will get their stocks from European manufactures and are then assembled over here, or the whole gun is produced abroad (BSA).

There were a few threads on others forums that I'd seen that tried to dye thin individual sheets and then laminate them. These weren't successful because the machines to heat and compress them sufficiently to make them stable aren't found in most sheds :D :D .

Strange you can only use .177, but do you have a restriction on fps or ft lbs :?: :?: . It seems that in good old Blighty that we may be going towards what's happened in Scotland :evil: :evil: but that's another story and possibly not for this thread :wink: :wink: .............dom

going backwards.... the edit button is in the drop down menu with the little cog in the top right corner of the post.

I havent tried this but cant you just paint a few pieces of ply in different colours then glue them together, and then shape? Thats all it is when all is said and done.

.177 Air rifles here are not restricted to power in any way, but they are all classed as firearms and are to be registered to the owner. Permission to purchase a firearm is a simple form to fill in at the local cop shop then straight to the gun shop. very sensible here (one of the few things that are).

there are a few shooters here, but no, best not to get too deeply into a non woodworking subject.

Back