Danish Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just finishing off two chopping boards I have made out of a piece of worktop given to me which was spare. I am applying food safe danish oil to them both which is going well and I have my final coat to put in tomorrow evening. I am wondering how do you keep a lint free cloth clean once used? After ever use I rinse the cloth and then wash in fairy liquid and then rinse again and leave to soak in fairy and hot water and then rinse again. Somehow though it never seems to come out clean. Does anyone know how I can clean my cloths for repetitive use?

Thanks

James

I use kitchen roll spread it flat to dry so it doesn’t spontaneously combust then when it’s dry throw it away.
Just put the 3rd coat on my kitchen worktops!

Pete

I would never go to the effort of washing out a cloth after using danish or any other finish, it simply isn’t worth it.

I use old sheet cut up into squares and then like Pete spread it out to dry then bin.

Local charity shop for old sheets etc, cheap and disposable, but generally paper towels and bin them.....

I wouldn't recommend storing a cloth that's been used with Danish oil at all. As said above, there's instances of them spontaniously combusting recorded, and I know a carpenter that lost a van full of tools caused by fire and that practice. Don't just throw them (or paper towels) away in the rubbish bin either- make sure the'ye soaking wet with water before disposing of them. I have a steel bucket outside my workshop with water in it specifically for this purpose (thinners, meths, white spirit etc).

James
Just so you know:
You usually think of drying as the loss of water. That’s not what happens with danish oil. There is no water in it to lose. The change from ‘feels wet’ to ‘dry’ is a hardening process that involves a chemical reaction between the components of the oil and oxygen from the air. This reaction is exothermic and gives out quite a lot of heat. In a confined space it will cause fire.
Dave

As a further thought. The chemical cure will occur in the cloth used to apply the oil. So by the time you come to wash it the oil will be changing into the hard, cured polymer. So you are not washing out oil. This probably explains why you cannot wash the cloth.
Dave

This the same story for boiled linseed oil?

I just bought some, never used it before. Feel a bit nervous now!

Is it safe once rags are dry/hard?

Yes it's the same for linseed oil. Danish oil is just linseed mixed with varnish.

My rags all go into a metal bucket outside the shed as soon as I've finished with them.

Thanks! After searching other threads on here it seems it doesn't play nicely with oak! (Liberon site confirms it) I bought a 1litre of it for some small internal oak things I was making and have loads to spare for other projects.

I'm getting cold feet now, might take it back to screwfix!

Really?! I've used both (danish and linseed) on oak without a problem. What's the issue?

Not sure, something to do with the oak possibly going black if used outside.

I'm happy with the method of drying out the oily rags until safe. I might be being a bit lame but I'm concerned about storing the bottle once opened, if it doesn't have perfect seal and oxygen gets in, it's basically a firebomb waiting to go off no?

How do you store yours?

OscarG":22qaqh4y said:
Not sure, something to do with the oak possibly going black if used outside.

I'm happy with the method of drying out the oily rags until safe. I might be being a bit lame but I'm concerned about storing the bottle once opened, if it doesn't have perfect seal and oxygen gets in, it's basically a firebomb waiting to go off no?

How do you store yours?
In a sealed bottle or can it will be fine.
You can store paint and such upside down with the lid firmly on of course. Just means that rather than skinning over on the open end it skins on the bottom. When you go to use it it's easier to use.
The oily rag thing is (I think) a problem because it can generate heat by itself and catch fire. I've seen some people say the keep them in a sealed tin. Like most people I weigh up the risk of fire versus the cost of some rags. Chuck em in a rusty old metal chest in the garden. When I'm done using it I torch it.
Worth noting it's similar SP for any oil based finish AFAIK.
The thing you need to look for on the container is : VOC. It stands for volatile organic compound.
In the container it's perfectly safe if stored correctly as stated on the can etc away from heat, direct sunlight and so on.
It's good to be (well) aware but no need to panic.
:wink:
Cheers
Chris

Edit for memory : yet another of the tips I picked on here was not to strip off the foil seal on bottles. Just pierce it.

OscarG":3kniy1g5 said:
Thanks! After searching other threads on here it seems it doesn't play nicely with oak! (Liberon site confirms it) I bought a 1litre of it for some small internal oak things I was making and have loads to spare for other projects.

I'm getting cold feet now, might take it back to screwfix!

Not used it on anything large but finished a oak pace stick stand last weekend and it looked really good!

I’ve finished some quite large pieces of oak furniture with danish oil and had no discolouration issues at all.

Never used it outside but then don’t consider it an outdoor finish.

Reminds me of the first time I used Danish Oil. Barely scanned the instructions. Sitting at work the next morning browsing the interweb to make sure I'd done everything correctly. Hmm? That's interesting. Phone the Boss at home - 'Could you go out to the workshop, take the scrunched up, oily rag on my bench and put it in the middle of the lawn. I'll deal with it when I get home'!

I was, incidentally, using it on an Oak jewellery box. This was about 12 years ago and no issues so far.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

The cloths said they were reusable just to wash them out with soap and water so it does explain why they are just going hard!

Kitchen roll it is from now on!

Thanks Guys

James

Tried using the BLO last night, the oak looks good, although it's darkened it a bit more than I hoped.

I quite like the smell at first, reminded me of chips!

But the smell....it just doesn't go away, sick of it now!

Back