Remaking dovetail saw handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse 2nd

Established Member
Reaction score
Just started a new handle for a nice brass back, dovetail saw. I picked the saw up in a general market, in a pound bin. Handle was broken and wormed. But the saw itself was a very nice brass back dovetail saw, so had it and should look good when done.

Attachments

• DSC00247.JPG
    DSC00247.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 732
  • DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 732
  • DSC00254.JPG
    DSC00254.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 732
  • DSC00255.JPG
    DSC00255.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 732
Very nice saw - any idea who made it? Remarkably free of rust and pits.
If the old handle is really shot to bits I have usually cut it in half to form the template going forward.

The saw blade looks like it has slipped out of the brass back at the rear - a very common practice. Check on this. The back may require tapping back down. The taper is exaggerated.

Regards from Perth

Derek

But don't knock the plate right to the bottom of the back. Is there enough of the handle left to judge from it, and the hole positions in the plate, how far the plate was intended to be inserted ? It may only be 1/8 inch or so. I'm sure I've bored everyone enough times by explaining how the back tensions the plate, and how repeated straightening leads to the plate bottoming out at the toe.

There are a lot of handle templates free online. Just google to find. One trick to get a template from the old handle is to photo copy it.
Regards
John

Back