used my lathe (yew vase)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurriaan

Established Member
Reaction score
So i noticed someone asked for pictures....

I hadn't tried the picture upload functionality here. It's a bit difficult - having to select, upload, place inline. No automatically reducing image size means you have to do that beforehand as well, and not being able to select multiple files in one go means it's hard work. Also, the more you upload, the more you have to scroll up and down, you always end up at the default tab 'Options' so 'Upload attachment' has to be selected every single time and inlined links don't always end up where the cursor is either, so it's necessary to check that as well for every picture.

yew1.jpg

yew2.jpg

I was lucky enough to save some yew from being thermally recycled - without paying, even! I traded the wood against a bowl from another part of the tree. Diameter about 17" here, height 30".

yew3.jpg

yew4.jpg

yew5.jpg

yew6.jpg

Having a crane attached to your lathe is very nice. It's becoming more clear here that there's a large circular crack in the yew, at about 1/3 of the diameter. The lathe is a Swedisch Jonsered monster, swing 32", 70 mm / M45 spindle, MK4 tailstock. The centre is a German design from Wema, 6 teeth / 39 mm diameter, M45 thread.

yew7.jpg

yew8.jpg

yew9.jpg

Looking good, but the crack is worrying - it seems to be right where I want my foot to be.

and so it ended. 10 attachment maximum?? I'll continue this in another post, but it's a bit wearying.

Attachments

• yew1.jpg
    yew1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 667
  • yew2.jpg
    yew2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 667
  • yew3.jpg
    yew3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 667
  • yew4.jpg
    yew4.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 666
  • yew5.jpg
    yew5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 667
  • yew6.jpg
    yew6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 667
  • yew7.jpg
    yew7.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 667
  • yew8.jpg
    yew8.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 667
  • yew9.jpg
    yew9.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 667
Jurriaan; a gradely Lathe is that :)

Good luck with the Yew

yew10.jpg

yew11.jpg

yew12.jpg

yew13.jpg

So far, so good. Making a lot of chips, the top outer side is where I want it to be. The foot is provisional, might need to be a little smaller, but I don't want that crack spoiling things before I've hollowed it out.

yew14.jpg

yew15.jpg

The crack at the top filled with 2K Epoxy and black pigment. It's a bit cold (about 8 degrees Celsius) in my unheated shed, so drying takes some time. I used a heat gun to heat it up and let it fill the cracks a bit better.

yew16.jpg

yew17.jpg

yew18.jpg

yew19.jpg

Time to drill. One reason a MK4 tailstock is nice to have, is that bigger drills (40 mm, here) fit. Drilling first with the short drill, than making room for the quill, and then drilling using the long drill. This involves a lot of sliding the tailstock, which weighs in at 82 kg. I was having so much fun, that at the time I thought of measuring how deep I was, I was just over 25" in, at 5/8" before the chuck. Not too far, but definitely a bit further than I wanted to be.

Attachments

• yew10.jpg
    yew10.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 657
  • yew11.jpg
    yew11.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 657
  • yew12.jpg
    yew12.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 657
  • yew13.jpg
    yew13.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 657
  • yew14.jpg
    yew14.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 657
  • yew15.jpg
    yew15.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 657
  • yew16.jpg
    yew16.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 657
  • yew17.jpg
    yew17.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 657
  • yew18.jpg
    yew18.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 657
  • yew19.jpg
    yew19.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 657
yew21.jpg

yew22.jpg

yew23.jpg

yew24.jpg

yew25.jpg

Hollowing this largest vase yet for me made me rethink if I wanted to make vases this big. Not only do you need gigantic pieces of wood and spend even more time hollowing it, but the tools get progressively longer as well (70" in the picture), and I needed to remove both the tailstock and my grinding machine + stand. Since the grinding machine has two 12" wheels, this involved some sweat as well.

At the end, I turned down the foot a bit, and the circular crack showed up again. The diameter of the foot is the critical part in the design of this vase, I think. Too big, and it looks ugly. Too small, and it looks (and is!) wobbly.

The chuck is a custom made 6" / 160 mm Zentra chuck. I need two hands to lift it, but it can often hold vases without a steady rest. The crack made me not even try that here.

yew26.jpg

yew27.jpg

yew28.jpg

yew29.jpg

yew30.jpg

For finishing the foot, I have some round blanks to put into the vase. I carefully turned down the blank to exactly fit the vase opening, since I didn't trust the bottom at 1/2" thickness, not to mention the glued-up crack.
The 1/2" bottom is also the reason that I couldn't completely remove the black stains from the jaws.

Attachments

• yew22.jpg
    yew22.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 647
  • yew23.jpg
    yew23.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 647
  • yew24.jpg
    yew24.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 647
  • yew25.jpg
    yew25.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 647
  • yew26.jpg
    yew26.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 647
  • yew27.jpg
    yew27.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 647
  • yew21.jpg
    yew21.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 647
  • yew28.jpg
    yew28.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 647
  • yew29.jpg
    yew29.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 646
  • yew30.jpg
    yew30.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 647
Now for the final pictures:

yew31.jpg

yew32.jpg

yew33.jpg

yew34.jpg

yew35.jpg

yew36.jpg

yew37.jpg

yew38.jpg

yew39.jpg

yew40.jpg

Normally, I finish all my turnings with walnut oil, but I have had some bad experiences with that on yew (and other resin-containing woods). It suddenly became sticky again after a few months. So I used a commercial product, called Drechsleröl (Woodturner's Oil) from Steinert in Germany. The sapwood patches got 2 layers in white, the rest 2 layers in natural, and then 2 layers natural over the entire vase. The sapwood patches are not as white as they seem in certain pictures, the grain is very recognizable.

At the moment, the vase is drying. Some lengthwise fractures are appearing at the bottom quarter, so I'll wait until I'm sure they won't compress again when the inside of the wood is drying as well, and then see if I need to have a go again with the black epoxy or not.

The overall height came out at a hair under 26", biggest width just over 14", wall thickness about 1/2".

I think this may prove I actually use my lathe :mrgreen:

Attachments

• yew31.jpg
    yew31.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 644
  • yew32.jpg
    yew32.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 644
  • yew33.jpg
    yew33.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 644
  • yew34.jpg
    yew34.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 644
  • yew35.jpg
    yew35.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 644
  • yew36.jpg
    yew36.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 644
  • yew37.jpg
    yew37.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 644
  • yew38.jpg
    yew38.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 644
  • yew39.jpg
    yew39.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 644
  • yew40.jpg
    yew40.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 644
Good luck with the drying and wood behaviour, that's a lot of stress potential waiting to do its worst.

On smaller stuff I flood the hairline cracks with Thin CA Glue as I go but you would need another bank account to fund enough for a project that large.

If my memory is correct I believe Cornucopia (George Watkins ) used to soak large turnings in Lemon Oil, (White Spirit/petroleum based) to aid moisture dispersal and even out drying stresses before final finishing, don't know if this is still his practice.

Oh, before anybody asks:

the hollowing tools used were:

- 10mm RCGT insert in 16 mm steel rod (quite common, I buy mine from http://jmader.de/entwicklungen/ausdrehwerkzeuge/ - Jockel from Germany speaks English as well)

- a Swiss development called the Pitbull, a bit like the Woodcut ProForme after 3 seasons of steroids. The seller (Ändu) has a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8oeW3qLeWtgSMpwOaj9UMA. I don't think he has a separate internet site, but I could contact him through another forum.

As for the drying risks, I have had good experience with yew. I don't think it'll destroy itself, not like an oak vase I once tried, which looked like a peeled banana after a few weeks. I expect I have to touch up (fill, sand, re-oil) the bottom part.

That's a beauty, nice work sir! A shame all that lovely purple grain is hidden under the base.
Great setup you have there, the lathe and also the steady look very substantial.

Latest posts

Back