Imperial size brass butt hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I need to replace a broken hinge on a small glass fronted cabinet.
The existing hinges are 2" by 1" (it seems that the seconf measurement is taken across the opened out hinge, from looking at various sites - is this correct).
I can find plenty of 50mm by 28mm, which I guess I can use at a pinch, but wondered if anyone knew where I might find the actual size.

Get a 50 x 28. File 0.4 mm off each end and 1.3mm odd each side?

A quick search on Ebay UK for 'vintage brass butt hinge' brought up quite a few sizes and types, mostly imperial. It should be possible to find something pretty close.

Failing that, a complete re-hinge with the modern brass butts you've already found would be a bit of a faff, but would save the cabinet and keep appearance of the hinges the same all round.

you can still find old imperial size hinges on ebay, try gumtree as well and facebook groups

Thanks for the replies.
I found the vintage ones on eBay, but I would have had to wait a week or so, and the light of my life would not want that...
So I've ordered the metric ones. I don't think it will be a problem to chop out a mm or so of wood.

narrow suite they may be, but that doesnt describe their profit margins. SEVEN QUID per 1" hinge?

While I'm here, about a year ago someone on this site pointed me to some polished brass stop hinges for trinket boxes. Well I need some more but that link doesnt work anymore so does any one know where i can buy some that arent made of solid gold please?

John Brown - For 51mm x 31mm brass hinges try http://www.prokraft.co.uk/2-polished-solid-brass-hinges-pair.html at £5.25 a pair

While I'm here, about a year ago someone on this site pointed me to some polished brass stop hinges for trinket boxes. Well I need some more but that link doesnt work anymore so does any one know where i can buy some that aren't made of solid gold please?

sunnybob - try http://www.prokraft.co.uk/SQH.html for them in gold or chrome at £3.99 a pair

I've bought from this outfit in the past and their delivery is quite fast. Hope this helps you both.

skelph

Peter... :shock: :shock:

All well and good in their place, but on my little home made boxes that if I'm lucky i can sell for £40 finished, no ta.

Skelph, thanks but theyre not the type i need.

This is what I'm after, but polished, not stippled.

hinge.jpg

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 233
Back